First day home - loop ileostomy

Replies
Views
Danno

I was discharged from the hospital this morning after my step 2 of 3 surgery for reversal resulting in a loop ileostomy on Wednesday.  

How’s it going?

I’ll start by saying they kept me in the hospital an extra day for no reason other than increased output, something I’ve never had issues with my previous stoma. I knew this is expected since we’re playing with less plumbing, so hopefully things work themselves out as my system learns. I’m on meds to slow things down until my body adapts. They let me come home today to manage things myself with my own dieting. Hoping to thicken things up and get back to a manageable routine. 

Im also experiencing some uncontrollable output from the bottom end. Lots of liquid and blood. Manageable for the most part but it does find its way out in small amounts when I bend over or pee.  Mucus was a bit part of my last stoma so It was expected, but I’m a bit annoyed about the lack of control. The surgery was through my butt, so that likely caused some temporary issues that I hope recover over time. Surgeon says it’s fine and should. We shall hope.  

Aside from that all is good. Pain is manageable and I’m way more confident with food since I’ve got the experience. 

Of course…. This is day 1. I’m sure most, if not off of this, will resolve with time. 

Can’t wait for week 7 so I can hit the gym  :D

I’ll update. 

Riva

You’ve got this.   Keep that positive outlook.  Week 7 will be here sooner than you think .   💪

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,504 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

IGGIE

One day at a time mate. Regards IGGIE

Morning glory

You're  doing good. Keep us updated. 

CrappyColon

But no ileus!!!!! 😁

Staying Hydrated with an Ostomy with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
Danno
Reply to CrappyColon

Yeah. That’s the best part!!!

kittybou

Have you done the happy dance yet? (carefully)

Danno
Reply to kittybou

Of course!! :D