Ostomy Bag Deodorant

Replies
Views
feelingood

Has anybody ever found one that works, to prevent odor? I've tried several with no good results.

warrior

list what you tried..??

might help us a bit.

for most, M9 works great.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,680 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

feelingood

That is one I haven't tried and will order and try it.  Thanx

warrior
Reply to feelingood

its well documented here to work.

gotta have it.  sure beats a nose pin. 😭

Casper9

M9 works great but it's kind of expensive (at least in Canada its expensive) 

There is a product called Sg3 which is kind of an off brand M9 and it works well and is less expensive.

Getting Support in the Ostomy Community with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
Beth22

Have you tried coloplasts deodorant?  It's not overly thick like I have found some to be .. the two I have found that works best for me is coloplast or safe n simple (safe n simples is blue colored fyi,)

AlexT

The Adapt/Hollister stuff works for me. I’ve used the M9 stuff in the hospital bathrooms, it really works good. I tried samples of Na’Scent, it was worthless. 

Axl

Henry on this site uses a pinch of baking soda, swears by it.

Riva

Don’t laugh - try popping in a few peppermint Altoids. They have been known to work .

aTraveler

Prior to buying you can request samples of different deodorants. There are several that I have found to reduce odor but not completely eliminate it. To get the best results you must reduce odor producing foods. I use "Be Free" or "Brava Lubricating Deodorant" for my pouch and M9 Odor Eliminator Spray (apple scent) as an aerosol.

An inexpensive solution is to use 10 - 20 ml of hydrogen peroxide in the pouch.

The use of 10 drops of lavender essential oil in the ostomy pouch is a simple, low-cost, easy-to-use, and natural method that is effective for increasing both ostomy adjustment and quality of life levels and for eliminating odor in permanent colostomy patients. As some may be allergic to lavender essential oil, a drop of lavender essential oil can be placed on the inside of the arm, and watched for development of a local reaction.

feelingood

A lot of good ideas. Thank You all for the input!

Hisbiscus
Reply to AlexT

Yep na'scent was a waste of money.

infinitycastle52777

I use M9 drops but I never seem to have enough from my monthly allotment through my insurance.

Lee

eefyjig

I agree with M9 drops. I keep a big bottle at home (use it sparingly since I use a heavy duty exhaust fan in my bathroom) and I have a travel size in my purse, luggage and travel bathroom bag. They work like a charm 9 out of 10 times, the sole failure usually due to my having eaten fish. 

dooppy

I wear the Hollister bags...they get stinky fast partially because it's outside is made of ceramide which is like cloth.

They start to stink even though I have a perfect seal and no leaks.

My go-to when this happens is spraying my bag with Febreze spray for odors. 

It extends the life of your bag by a day or two and you smell like fresh laundry