Colostomy - Fiber Supplement

Replies
Views
splaineinv

Please advise

I have had my colostomy for over 20 years.  lately my output if erratic and watery.  Sometime I don't have output for a couple of days and other times I have multiple output during the day.  I would like to have, as much as possible, a more predictiable output.

My questions is, should I take a fibe supplement or change my eating habits (which I don't want to).  I enjoy most foods.

Would appreciate any advise - email:   

Beachboy

I've had a colostomy for 1 1/2 years, 66 years old.

My output is thick, but unpredictable.  Sometimes I go 2 days with no output.  Other days I empty the bag 2 times in an hour.  Only thing so far that creates very thick, sticky output is popcorn.  I don't keep a food diary.  That would be a step you could take for analysis of food vs output.

Or consult with a gastro doctor.  Maybe get CT scan or colonoscopy.  

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,691 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

AlexT

Sounds like normal colostomy activity to me. I think to have a regular schedule of pooping, you’d have to basically eat, drink, do the same thing everyday. Who wants to live like that? 🤮 Live life like you wanna and poop when ya gotta. 😎

aTraveler

Foods that cause a thicker, slower output

• Ileostomy only: Crackers, pasta, rice, ripe bananas, toast, yogurt, milk (preferably boiled), creamy peanut butter, breads, cheeses, potatoes

• Apple sauce, unripe bananas, boiled rice, peanut butter, tapioca toast, white bread, potatoes, pasta, crackers, weak tea, marshmallows, jellybeans

As BB mentioned you may want to keep a food diary. An app such as "mySymptoms Food Diary" can make tracking food and symptoms easier.

Justbreathe

Ileostomy here - Psyllium Fiber powder (Costco) in a smoothie w/banana and vanilla almond milk (Wal-mart) around 10 a.m. daily does the trick for me in terms of regulating.  I do not use the fiber in my morning coffee (altho that has been suggested) so coffee is the same as ever - - - coffee in, coffee out - just can’t bring myself to ruin my morning wake up buddy with dealer add-ons…

I eat everything but lettuce - the shreds drive me crazy sticking to the inside of the bag….…..jb

Below - for your viewing pleasure:  Psyllium Fiber Picture

How to Manage Emotions with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
Beachboy
Reply to Justbreathe

Too funny.  Thought it was gonna be a picture of shredded lettuce, bagged of course.  😁

AlexT
Reply to Justbreathe

I hate shredded lettuce too

splaineinv
Reply to Beachboy

Thank you for your advice 

splaineinv
Reply to AlexT

Thank you for your advice.  Just hate the watery output at inoportune times.   

splaineinv
Reply to aTraveler

Thank you for your advice.  Just hate the watery output at inopertune times.  

splaineinv
Reply to aTraveler

Thank you for your advice.  Just hate the watery output at inopertune times.  

splaineinv
Reply to Justbreathe

Thank you for your adice.  Just hate the watery output at inoportune times. 

splaineinv
Reply to Justbreathe

Thank you for your adice.  Just hate the watery output at inoportune times. 

onecoolnana12

I've had my colostomy since 2015 and my doctor told me from the start, fiber, this helps to bulk it up, worked for me. Of course, there will still be days that it might go off but that is usually due to drinking soda products, for me, or if you happen to get a stomach bug. Also irrigating helps you control the all day output. Irrigate in the morning or night & usually go all day without a worry. 

olderone

I have worked with a dietitian that works at the gastro office.  She moved me to two things that really seemed to help me, first a fiber called Sunfiber 31 and second a probiotic called ProbioMax DF Daily.  I had taken other products for both fiber and probiotics but these two are the best combo for me unless I indulge foolishly and then all bets are off.  As always best of luck with that.