Pelvic Collection After Ileostomy: Seeking Advice on Pain and Pressure

Replies
Views
jenevanse
Mar 19, 2024 9:07 am

I had an ileostomy six weeks ago and have been told I have a pelvic collection. I have rectal pain and bladder "pressure" (difficult to describe). It isn't an infection as blood is fine and no fever. Does anyone have experience of this? Grateful for any ideas.

MoeMoe
Mar 19, 2024 11:13 am

Hi! When my stoma was put in place, I had so much pain and pressure in my pelvis. Peeing was so painful and my pubic area would swell so much, it looked like I had a jock strap on. I'm not exaggerating, it was painful. I did not have rectal pain though, sorry I can't comment on that. I had my stoma put into place at the ER and that surgeon said the pain and pressure I was feeling had nothing to do with the surgery, but I didn't feel like that going into the hospital, so it had to be from the surgery. He told me to see my primary care doc and I was tested for UTIs so many times. I didn't have a fever either. So around 4 months post-op, I Googled how to strengthen the pelvic floor muscles and was able to help myself. I didn't do anything strenuous or anything that could hurt me or my insides, and I started slowly. I walked a lot, I mean A LOT - before work, on my breaks, at my lunchtime. I took stairs when I could instead of elevators and I did Kegel exercises. Hope you find something that works for you and you are able to help yourself to some extent.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,841 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Differentclass
Mar 19, 2024 2:43 pm

Hi Jenevanse. I also had a ‘collection' after my colostomy which they were unable to drain as it was too deep. Pumped full of IV antibiotics and over 3 weeks in the hospital with a swollen abdomen and pressure on the bladder, pelvis, and discomfort ‘down there'! It did eventually disappear, which a scan confirmed. I'm feeling better in myself than I've felt since before my colostomy and now on the active waiting list for reversal, which I am excited about but also terrified because of what I went through before. You will get better, just hang in there and don't do too much too soon. Wishing you all the best.