First Bowel Movement After Ileostomy: Is This Normal?

Replies
Views
Ever_Endeavor
Mar 19, 2024 11:18 pm

I had my first BMs since getting an ileostomy 3 months ago. It is making me nervous since I'm not used to it, but I saw online that they aren't that uncommon or usually an issue. Can anyone let me know what signs there would be or how I could tell if/when a BM is unhealthy?

CrappyColon
Mar 19, 2024 11:51 pm

Do you have a loop ileostomy? Have you had any colon removed?

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 35,000 members who truly understand you.

It's not all about ostomy. We talk about everything.

Many come here for advice or to give advice, others have found good friends, and some have even found love. Most importantly, people here are honest and genuinely care.

🛑 Privacy is very important - we have many features that are only visible to members, ensuring a safe and secure environment for you to share and connect.

Create an account and you will be amazed by the warmth of this community.

warrior
Mar 20, 2024 12:37 am

Do ileos have BMs? How is that possible? I have bag movement. No bowels. 😩

CrappyColon
Mar 20, 2024 12:58 am
Reply to warrior

Tony, with a loop ileostomy, you'd be surprised at what makes it down the second opening… 😁

warrior
Mar 20, 2024 1:04 am

That's Fruit Loops? Eeeew...

I lack visuals. Need Ms. Google.

Words of Encouragement from Ostomy Advocates I Hollister
Play
Ever_Endeavor
Mar 20, 2024 10:23 am
Reply to CrappyColon

No, it's not a loop ileostomy, so I'm a bit surprised. I did have most of my colon removed 7 years ago but never had a BM when I had an ileostomy for about 7 months. However, more colon got removed in December (when I was given this ileostomy), and I have about 1/3 left if I remember right. Could that be causing the BMs? So far, it's just been black, unformed stool.

Beachboy
Mar 20, 2024 2:21 pm

I would recommend a visit back to your surgeon or an ostomy nurse. A CT scan or scope check should be performed just to ensure nothing is amiss.

Beachboy
Mar 20, 2024 2:23 pm
Reply to warrior

I'll never look at Fruit Loops the same again...

CrappyColon
Mar 20, 2024 5:37 pm
Reply to Ever_Endeavor

So typically we don't like when stool is black/has black in it. If it's truly black and not a super dark green, I would give your GI doctor a call.

CrappyColon
Mar 20, 2024 5:38 pm
Reply to warrior

You really like those sugary cereals, don't you?