First Bowel Movement After Ileostomy: Is This Normal?

Replies
Views
Ever_Endeavor
Mar 19, 2024 11:18 pm

I had my first BMs since getting an ileostomy 3 months ago. It is making me nervous since I'm not used to it, but I saw online that they aren't that uncommon or usually an issue. Can anyone let me know what signs there would be or how I could tell if/when a BM is unhealthy?

CrappyColon
Mar 19, 2024 11:51 pm

Do you have a loop ileostomy? Have you had any colon removed?

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,841 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

warrior
Mar 20, 2024 12:37 am

Do ileos have BMs? How is that possible? I have bag movement. No bowels. 😩

CrappyColon
Mar 20, 2024 12:58 am
Reply to warrior

Tony, with a loop ileostomy, you'd be surprised at what makes it down the second opening… 😁

warrior
Mar 20, 2024 1:04 am

That's Fruit Loops? Eeeew...

I lack visuals. Need Ms. Google.

Staying Hydrated with an Ostomy with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
Ever_Endeavor
Mar 20, 2024 10:23 am
Reply to CrappyColon

No, it's not a loop ileostomy, so I'm a bit surprised. I did have most of my colon removed 7 years ago but never had a BM when I had an ileostomy for about 7 months. However, more colon got removed in December (when I was given this ileostomy), and I have about 1/3 left if I remember right. Could that be causing the BMs? So far, it's just been black, unformed stool.

Beachboy
Mar 20, 2024 2:21 pm

I would recommend a visit back to your surgeon or an ostomy nurse. A CT scan or scope check should be performed just to ensure nothing is amiss.

Beachboy
Mar 20, 2024 2:23 pm
Reply to warrior

I'll never look at Fruit Loops the same again...

CrappyColon
Mar 20, 2024 5:37 pm
Reply to Ever_Endeavor

So typically we don't like when stool is black/has black in it. If it's truly black and not a super dark green, I would give your GI doctor a call.

CrappyColon
Mar 20, 2024 5:38 pm
Reply to warrior

You really like those sugary cereals, don't you?