pouch vent leaks/fails, how do you prevent?

Replies
Views
Littlefish

Recently started using a Hollister 1pc (8664) and have experienced a sporadic occurrence of vent leaks or failures where liquid passes thru vent with varying flow rates.  Sometimes minor leakage while sleeping and other times as if pouch had an open hole.  Wear time before fail ranges from 1/2 day to 4 days.   Is there something I could be doing to prevent?   Otherwise satisfied with the comfort and seal to my skin using this product such that I don't want to switch unnecessarily.  Any advice would be welcome.  thanks

warrior

Sounds defective. Contact maker. They will likely replace free of charge....you said recently started this brand?  Why? What were you using before this? 

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,529 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

mild_mannered_super_hero

What type of ostomy do you have ? The vented pouches really aren’t made to deal with liquid, if you have an ileo or much liquid output it’s going to fail. They used to send the little round stickers to block off the vent and they might extend your wear time a little. Still, if you have much liquid output you would be better off to just get the same pouch without the vent. 

AlexT

Contact Hollister, tell them the issue. They usually offer a filtered and non filtered bag of the same model. I’d also inform them of the issue and see about replacement bags at the very least. 

Ben38

Sounds like a faulty batch nothing should leak from filter even if you have loose output report to your supplier they should replace them or put a piece of Sellotape over the filter if you haven't got time to contact them  

Living with Your Ostomy | Hollister
eefyjig

Agree 👆 I use Hollister products and once had a defective batch which they replaced.

TerryLT

It's not all that uncommon to have a leak through the vent if your output is very loose or liquidy.  It used to happen to me with Hollister products.  I use a one piece Hollister myself, and always put a piece of tape over the vent to prevent this happening.  I doubt that your pouches are defective.  I would just get pouches without vents, but the ones I like the most only come vented.  There is always a 'work around'!

Terry

Littlefish
Reply to mild_mannered_super_hero

Thanks, MMSH. I have an ileo and at times very liquidy output.  Thought vent would help while sleeping when sometimes pouch fills with gas that drives seal leakage.  Continuing to experiment, but likely no perfect solution.

Littlefish
Reply to warrior

hi warrior, been experimenting with mostly hollister and coloplast.  might try convatec next.  hate to give up on hollister as their convex seem to get me the best wear time.  thanks for the reply

Littlefish
Reply to TerryLT

thanks TerryLT,  i will experiment with using tape when venting might not be necessary

mild_mannered_super_hero
Reply to Littlefish

I’m gonna add you might reduce your gas output by cutting grains, cereal and bread. The bread especially is hard to give up completely but you might cut these items out of your evening meal and see how much gas it eliminates. 

Hisbiscus
Reply to Littlefish

Ask for a sample of the convatec convex active life. It has a clip verses velcro but a nice secure pouch. It also has a tape collar that goes around the whole flange.. As for gas? I get that too but I won't do filters because I rinse and the filters smell. I just put a pee pad down under me at night and hope for the best if I get ballooning. So far no blow out but I do get up to let air out here and there.