Corn meal dust...

Replies
Views
infinitycastle52777

Ok so I know for ileostomates corn is not generally advised or popcorn. But I never really considered corn meal. There is a light dusting of corn meal on the bottom of my english muffins. And it comes out in my bag. All little tiny dots of it. It makes an interesting pattern. So, what is up with that? Does corn meal not digest because it is a corn product or is my ostomy just unusually talented in finding things in my food and spitting them out? I think it is just weird.

kittybou

No clue, Ms. Lee, but I eat grits with no issues or leftovers

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,599 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Morning glory

I eat grits and cornbread without any problems. 

JVM261

I was going to get pop chips (I think they are called that) today. Someone on here recommended them but I am so afraid of anything corn blocking me up.

Mysterious Mose

If your corn meal is whole grain or stone ground, that may account for the bits. If the corn meal has been milled to where the hull and germ have been removed, there shouldn't be any residue, I would think.

Daniel

Words of Encouragement from Ostomy Advocates I Hollister
infinitycastle52777
Reply to Mysterious Mose

I don't know how the corn meal was done, I just know my mom said it was corn meal on the bottom of my emglish muffin. I guess it must be stone ground if it is coming out. I don't really know. My mom said we can try to find some english muffins that dont have that on the bottom of it. So I guess I will just not get this brand anymore. 

infinitycastle52777
Reply to JVM261

I never heard of pop chips but if It is a corn product and you have a ileostomy I would go slow with it and maybe try a very small amound and see how it goes. 

Jayne

I can not be accurate as regards cornmeal dust grit stoneground or othertwise .... but what I DO KNOW is that when home made pizza dough is made and then pulled and pizzas formed - a dusting of corn meal is useful for no dough ever sticks to the bottom of the pizza oven outside - and flexibility with the paddle when cooking is assured .... also nice taste compliments the carbon of a real wood fired outdoor oven - adds an extra dimention to the special taste when leaving the oven floor and landing on the plate .... Yum!

[And all from one who does not really like shop bought pizza .... but sinced building the oven outside one can construct ones own toppings and satisfy a wide varierty of tastes for EVERYONE who comes to participate and eat!

First firing will be when the warmer days of May are with us [having cleaned it out and oak fired it to steralise and thoroughly dry and have it ready for high tempseratures - If you been debating whether it is worth building a pizza over - the answer is emphatically YES!

Corn-meal is the secret ingredient to sucessful pizzas! - NEVER had one stick!

"A toast to warmer days, hot nights and ood outside to accompany our vines and apples ..... but thats a whole different storey - [Apple day fo pressing and cider making goes on the other side of the hill - and our own grapes have ripened since we have had higher temperatures!  [Although they could still bebefit from being under glass!

waves from the Hills

Mid Wales

UK

w30bob

Hi infinity,

Corn, in all its forms, is hard to digest...........even for non-ostomates.  And that's because corn is primarily made of cellulose.......and cellulose is an insoluble fiber. As such it requires specific enzymes to break it down that our bodies just don't have.  So if those little bits in your bag bother you, just take two muffins and rub their bottoms together and get most of it off.  Won't change the taste but will pretty up your bag.  

;O)

Caz67
Reply to kittybou

Hiya kitty

Can I ask what in the world is grit 🤔? We call tiny dirt chippings on the road/floor grit xx

kittybou
Reply to Caz67

Ground corn

kittybou

Cook and eat it like oatmeal

kittybou
Reply to

,😁😂🤭

w30bob
Reply to Caz67

Hi Caz,

Over on this side of the pond the word "grit" means anything small and abrasive......like sand or polishing compound.  The word "grits" is a food commonly found in the southern US and has the texture of oatmeal put in a blender with some sand, except is made of corn, not oatmeal.  It's has a mild corn flavor, since that's what it's made of, but folks usually add things to it for flavor....and it mostly tastes like what was added.  I'm sure you could add tiny dirt clippings and road/floor grit to it and some wouldn't know the difference, but most folks add butter, bacon, cheese, scallions, etc.  Hope that helps!

;O)

TerryLT
Reply to infinitycastle52777

Hi Lee,  I would think that the important thing here is that the cornmeal is coming out in your pouch and not causing you any problems, right?  I eat lots of things that are still identifiable when they come out in my pouch, as the ileum just doesn't break down food well, but as long as it is passing through without causing any discomfort or anything, it doesn't bother me.  I'm not sure why you are concerned about the cornmeal.

Terry

kittybou
Reply to w30bob

And hot peppers. No dirt and leaves tho. Lol

infinitycastle52777
Reply to TerryLT

I am not really concerned so much as curious about it. I thought this corn meal was so small how could it come out recognsable? It just caught me off. I see all kinds of things in my bag. I just thought it would make an interesting conversation. And from what I can see it has!

infinitycastle52777
Reply to w30bob

Ha, I never thought of rubbing two bottoms of english muffins together to get it off. I think I would feel silly doing that but I guess it makes sense if I wanted to get the bits off.