Looking for recommendations on IRA surgeons

Replies
Views
Mermaid13

Hi All..I know IRA surgery isn't performed as much as Jpouch , but I still have 10 inches left of sigmoid colon and a current end ileostomy. Last week, I had scopes and was told everything looked great and if I wanted to pursue surgery I should. I saw Dr Remzi in NYC  last year and discussed a jpouch , but he never mentioned an IRA which suggests to me that he preferred a jpouch since that's his specialty.. I just recently found out about the sigmoid colon and size.  I was wondering if anyone else had IRA surgery and who the surgeon was and how the experience went. Thank you all for any advice, it's very much appreciated as I navigate what I will choose either  a jpouch, IRA or keep the ileostomy...thank you 

CrappyColon

I have an IRA… no abdominal colon left- only 8” of rectum. Amazing surgeon at Cleveland Clinic. She said to have done a J-pouch on me would’ve been malpractice. 

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,576 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

warrior

Good point jodie..

. If you are seeing a surgeon in his specialty, of course he'd recommend j- pouch.

Heed the warnings of these pouches.

It's not 100% fixed.

If you are managing well with your ileo, be happy. Be baggy.

I found with my own health condition, if u go looking at trouble...it will find you.

Let us know your thoughts. We can offer help..advice..for you..and those on the sidelines viewing.. 

Mermaid13
Reply to CrappyColon

Would you mind sharing the name of the surgeon ..thank you 

Mermaid13
Reply to warrior

Thanks, I know there are two schools of thought..if it isn't broke , keep well enough alone and you don't want to wonder if you could've been reconnected ...  I still haven't decided what way I'll go, but I do feel I owe it myself to make an informed decision,  realizing it's a very personal decision and each situation is unique. I'm really just looking for recommendations on surgeons who specifically perform IRAs ..Remzi is defo my choice if i do a jpouch , or in the end  I may choose to keep my stoma..just weighing my options ..thanks 

Staying Hydrated with an Ostomy with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
warrior
Reply to Mermaid13

....yes absolutely...exploring options... you owe it to yourself.

U will good and bad experiences here. The important thing it's honest.

We give you the pros and cons. 

Best place to get your shirt right.

And no fees from us. ha ha..

Peace of mind is priceless with these knife happy surgeons. 

Keep us posted. Others want to know but don't chime in.  Thanks .

Oh..(several minutes later..)

The idea was an IRA back in 2016..but I never ever heard that name or term  as " hook up " later was how I was calling it...layman terms.. joined this group and found out exactly what it was.  Whoa. Fudge that. 

So the dilapidated colon just hanging out unattached several years decided chrons was not done with me. The remaining stump developed chrons.

Game over. Kenn butt. 

Some of us had no options due to emergency surgery.. U go gurl .. 

Mermaid13
Reply to warrior

Thanks Warrior , they originally dx me  with crohns/ indeterminate colitis but now after 3 yrs have decided its UC and not crohns ..im still on the fence on which way I'll go, at the very least want to have a discussion with the colorectal surgeon. I appreciate you weighing in and will definitely keep everyone posted .. enjoy your weekend 

JVM261

I know we spoke already, and I told you the name of my surgeon. But I was also thinking that there is a guy on here “Colin Sans Colon” If you go in the reversal section, he has a good thread. He’s a big reason why I am choosing to move forward with reversal. He is in NY. Look him up on here maybe he can chime in.

ColinSansColon

Hi Mermaid. I replied to your DM! Happy to help answer any questions.

JVM261 - Thank you for the kind words and all the best!

JVM261
Reply to ColinSansColon

You and “Crappy Colon” are big inspirations to me. I know we are all different but I am hoping also for a good outcome. Hopefully we will each get to report back with good outcomes and share our stories as well.

CrappyColon
Reply to JVM261

I sure picked a good username didn’t I? 😆

Redondo

I would NOT do it!! DON'T do it. My original surgeon told me that I am not a candidate for it. Plus, I know a woman that did it and had so many complications that eventually she died. It's not worth your life.

yayas6gc
Reply to Mermaid13

Mermaid I believe you’re very wise to research it all. I had the JPouch done, it was so freeing and very nice wearing clothes that fit well. I loved it. Then i developed an anal/vaginal fistula. Not fun! Having leakage from my bottom to my vaginal area was disgusting. I also had to use diaper rash ointment on my bum due to irritation/acid inflammation when I had to go to the restroom. Went back to Ileostomy. It’s been 14 years now and I am happy and glad my Internal Med Dr suggested goin back to the bag. Which I did. Life’s pretty good. God Bless.

Mermaid13
Reply to yayas6gc

Thanks for sharing your story , I'm weighing all my options with the good, the bad and the ugly and deciding if the risks are worth it ..I'm going Friday to discuss with one of the recommended surgeons to discuss IRA ...

warrior
Reply to Mermaid13

... even Clint Eastwood would wonder if an IRA would make his day.. Great movie. 😆.

We will be anxiously waiting to hear your decision on yours.