Eating Peppers with a 7-Month-Old Ileostomy: Tips and Advice

Replies
Views
helelou2206
Apr 30, 2024 11:49 am

My ileostomy is 7 months old now. Are peppers something I can try eating now? If I can, do I need to chop them up really small?

Justbreathe
Apr 30, 2024 12:31 pm

Only with your teeth... chew, chew, chew...

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,866 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Axl
Apr 30, 2024 12:43 pm

Hello, hello.

Everyone is different, and there are no hard and fast rules for everyone. Eat what you want to eat, just introduce things a bit at a time. No need to punish yourself; you might just find you have nothing to be concerned about, like a lot of us.

elwick
Apr 30, 2024 12:57 pm

Hi, I eat them all the time. Try small amounts, we are all different. Elwick Doreen

Morning glory
Apr 30, 2024 2:43 pm

Try eating in small amounts and really chew well. Peppers caused a blockage in me years ago, so I'm leery of them for myself. Others can eat them just fine.

Living with Your Ostomy | Hollister
Mysterious Mose
Apr 30, 2024 6:04 pm

Are we talking "eating" peppers or "flavoring" peppers? Personally, I don't eat a lot of the former, especially not uncooked. I do consume a fair amount of the latter. It hasn't caused me any issues. Whichever it is, moderation is the key that can tell you what your digestive system can tolerate.

Daniel

helelou2206
Apr 30, 2024 7:29 pm
Reply to Mysterious Mose

Like in peppers in fajitas lol... sliced, cooked peppers.

Mysterious Mose
Apr 30, 2024 8:09 pm
Reply to helelou2206

Cut them fine and consume in moderation. Personally, I eat a bit of potato salad, and that almost always has bell peppers and celery in it. No problems for my ileostomy. But the Ostomate's caveat must be applied: we are all different. The only way to truly know a lot of stuff is through experimentation. But, I can't see well-chewed fajitas being an issue. Haven't been for me.

Daniel

helelou2206
May 01, 2024 2:04 pm
Reply to Mysterious Mose

Thank you so much 🙂

helelou2206
May 01, 2024 2:06 pm
Reply to Axl

Thank you, makes me feel a bit more positive 🙂

IGGIE
May 02, 2024 3:51 pm
IGGIE
May 02, 2024 3:52 pm
Reply to helelou2206

If you put the peppers in the oven and let them cook for some time, even to the point of looking as if they're burnt a little, then pop them into a plastic bag. This makes them sweat, and the skin just comes off really easy. Now you can eat as many as you like. If you cut them into slices and put them in a container and fill it with olive oil, they will keep for weeks. Regards, Iggie