Urine Coming from Rectum Stump After Rectum Removal

Replies
Views
faizahans58
May 01, 2024 5:40 am

My husband had his rectum removed a year ago. Stoma, no real trouble. Would like to learn more about urine coming out of the hole in the rectum stump.

AlexT
May 01, 2024 5:46 am

Probably shouldn't be happening.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,866 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

warrior
May 01, 2024 8:26 am

Uhhh... I don't understand. 😟

If the rectum is removed, it's sewn up usually, I think... there should be no hole. How is the stump even possible when that too gets removed? 🤔

They did this to me. Everything out and sewn up. 👍

You got a leak from a hole down there? I agree with Alex. Shouldn't be happening. 😲

Need more details. Off the cuff, you got a fistula maybe? Nothing should be leaking from a sewn-up butt hole.

Been there, done that recently.

aTraveler
May 01, 2024 8:55 am

Probably want to talk to your surgeon right away about this. Although not very common, it could be a vesicocutaneous fistula — a urinary fistula from the bladder to the skin.

faizahans58
May 01, 2024 10:10 am
Reply to warrior

Also thought it should be closed up as is everyone's we hear from. Cancer returned to ileum and the backside is open from crack down. He just finished chemo. Has a suprapubic catheter inserted that worked well. But after changing it yesterday (every 2 months) it's back to backside urinating. The catheter is not blocked (sister checked). Hopefully, it will connect the dots and start working again.

Getting Support in the Ostomy Community with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
faizahans58
May 01, 2024 10:13 am
Reply to warrior
faizahans58
May 01, 2024 10:18 am
Reply to aTraveler

Also thought it should be closed up as is everyone's we hear from. Cancer returned to ileum and the backside is open from crack down. He just finished chemo. Has a suprapubic catheter inserted that worked well. But after changing it yesterday (every 2 months) it's back to backside urinating. The catheter is not blocked (sister checked). Hopefully, it will connect the dots and start working again.

The surgeon is having a round table tomorrow so should hear the plan forward on Friday.

Hisbiscus
May 04, 2024 11:50 pm
Reply to faizahans58

Does he have a fistula from the bladder going there?

faizahans58
May 05, 2024 9:41 pm

Went to the ER on Friday. Had suprapubic adjusted and unblocked. The tube was pointing towards the rectum, so it was turned 180 degrees. Happy to say that it's better for now. The surgeon decided no more operations after the round table meeting. Seeing the oncologist on Wednesday for the plan forward.

aTraveler
May 05, 2024 10:36 pm

Praying for you all that the cancer plan leads to defeating the cancer. Also, catheter adjustment is a lot better than dealing with a fistula. You are going through some stressful times, and sometimes it is helpful to hear from someone that had similar problems. Enjoy this day and know that challenges are just that — they are meant to be overcome. 😉