Stoma Leakage from a Second Small Opening: Anyone Experienced This?

Replies
Views
JOSHWILRYAN
May 20, 2024 11:59 am

I have had my stoma for almost 3 years. After my surgery, while recovering at home, I remember the home health nurse saying I had another small opening as well as my stoma. As time went on, I also noticed this, but it looked like an area where excess stool would stay. This week, after a leakage, I saw actual output coming from this tiny pinpoint hole as well as my original stoma. Sorry for the long story, but has anyone experienced anything like this or know what is going on?

ron in mich
May 20, 2024 12:10 pm

Hi Josh, welcome to the site. I think what you are describing sounds like what is called a fistula and probably should get an appointment with your doctor.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 35,000 members who truly understand you.

It's not all about ostomy. We talk about everything.

Many come here for advice or to give advice, others have found good friends, and some have even found love. Most importantly, people here are honest and genuinely care.

🛑 Privacy is very important - we have many features that are only visible to members, ensuring a safe and secure environment for you to share and connect.

Create an account and you will be amazed by the warmth of this community.

Axl
May 20, 2024 12:25 pm

Hello

If you have a loop ileostomy, it will have two holes: one for waste to enter the bag and another for mucus south of the stoma to enter the bag. The second one is often difficult to notice in the beginning.

IGGIE
May 20, 2024 2:43 pm

I think it would pay to get this checked out to be on the safe side. We can only guess what it is. Regards, IGGIE

Justbreathe
May 20, 2024 5:20 pm

Loop ileostomy here. I have seen residue in that second little rosebud, which I call a dealer add-on. It only seems to dispense a bit of clear water-like liquid. Anything else had merely just lodged there on the way out of my stoma. It has not actually exited that hole, in my experience.

How to Manage Ostomy Leaks with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
Play
aTraveler
May 21, 2024 1:58 am

Since you first saw this 3 years ago, you can probably rule out a fistula. You will continue to get output from a fistula. If you go a long time with no output, they close up and go away. Since you say it was pinpoint size and had no output, it would have been long gone. You will definitely know when you have a fistula because of constantly being inundated with stool on your abdomen and clothes/bedding.