Thoughts on StomaDome and Nu-Hope Flat Panel Belt?

Replies
Views
Uniq2024
May 29, 2024 8:23 pm

I'm new to the group & haven't had time to search the site thoroughly yet. Saw the ostomy nurse yesterday & she mentioned StomaDome & measured me for a Nu-Hope flat panel belt with the prolapse support flap. Any recommendations/opinions on these products?

Mysterious Mose
May 29, 2024 10:42 pm

I have a StomaDome and seldom use it. It makes it difficult to manage thick stool, and I find the high-waisted elastic pants do just fine when over my convex wafer. And I seldom wear a belt anymore.

Daniel

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 35,000 members who truly understand you.

It's not all about ostomy. We talk about everything.

Many come here for advice or to give advice, others have found good friends, and some have even found love. Most importantly, people here are honest and genuinely care.

🛑 Privacy is very important - we have many features that are only visible to members, ensuring a safe and secure environment for you to share and connect.

Create an account and you will be amazed by the warmth of this community.

AlexT
May 29, 2024 11:32 pm

The NU Hope belt đź‘Ť The stoma dome thingy only if you plan on bumping it a lot on stuff, and trust me, you'll be very conscious about not bumping on stuff.

w30bob
May 29, 2024 11:45 pm

Hi Unicorn,

Welcome aboard! As with most products, some will like them, some not so much. "Ostomates" covers a very wide range of people that have an ostomy for any number of reasons, so how a product performs depends on what sub-group of ostomate you are. Blanket recommendations for a product by everyone with a stoma are pretty far and few between... and for good reason. There's also a myriad of products out there to make our lives better, but few actually do. It's like everything else... you have to try things for yourself and see what works for you. Going by recommendations for specific products is only valid if the people giving the recommendations are in the exact same situation you're in. Of course, it never hurts to ask, but just don't hang too much credibility on recommendations from others unless you know their specific situation.

I checked out StomaDome and I guess it's a maybe. Depends on what your output is like and if you really want another bump showing under your shirt. Do you really need a guard for your stoma? I guess some do... and some don't. Depends on your situation, as I said previously. If you NEED one... it's probably a game changer. If you don't really need it... probably more a pain in the ass than a help.

Nu-Hope is a top-notch company. I haven't heard too many complaints about anything they make, and their phone support is excellent. They can be pricey, but that's relative to how bad you need it. Some folks on here simply make their own stoma belts, guards, etc., and it's not hard to do if you're the DIY type.

I'd suggest to you (and everyone else) that's looking for a product recommendation... or just feedback... to be very specific about what the problem is they want the product to solve. That way, people with the same issue who've tried things to remedy that can give you some really good feedback, rather than letting the peanut gallery give you opinions that may or may not address your specific problem, but rather theirs.

;O)

Uniq2024
May 30, 2024 12:34 am
Reply to w30bob

I hadn't thought about it that way, but it makes perfect sense! I have a prolapsing stoma (7 weeks post-op today from end ileostomy). The PA in the surgeon's office said I may need a revision, but it couldn't happen for a couple of months due to recent surgery. I had a temporary ileostomy for just over 4 months, then got along fairly well after reversal for about 10 months. I was diagnosed with UC in 2010, but my surgeon thinks it was probably Crohn's all along and gave me that diagnosis in January 2024. The ostomy nurse at my hospital is wonderful, and StomaDome is what she mentioned first to keep the stoma from coming so far out.

Stories of Living Life to the Fullest from Ostomy Advocates I Hollister
Play
Uniq2024
May 30, 2024 12:36 am
Reply to AlexT

I bumped the corner of a counter turning from the fridge at my parents' house one day. Once was enough!

Uniq2024
May 30, 2024 12:38 am
Reply to Mysterious Mose

I didn't think about possible pancaking - definitely something to consider!

aTraveler
May 30, 2024 10:55 pm

I never tried the Stoma Done, but I do often use the StomaShield:

https://www.veganostomy.ca/stomashield-stoma-guard-inc-review/

Nu-Hope makes great support belts. My insurance pays for one each month.

Mysterious Mose
May 30, 2024 11:36 pm
Reply to aTraveler

I also have a StomaShield. It does have its uses. Everyday wear is not one of them. It tends to constrict your output, especially if you have gas. I use it on the rare occasions I have to wear a belt, but I keep a closer eye on what I eat and try to stay away from gassy things. It comes with 3 different sizes and pads with varied thickness. It's a good idea. I just wish they would make the bag slot a little wider.

Daniel

Beachboy
May 31, 2024 2:54 pm

I have 2 types of Nu-Hope belts. Being a little guy, I can't wear very wide belts. Nu-Hope has belt widths down to 3 inches... perfect for me.

I have a 3-inch wide belt to push in/support my peristomal hernia. I use this belt when I go walking to the beach, working in the garage, or bike riding.

I also have a 4-inch wide belt with a prolapse strap. It also pushes in my hernia. The prolapse strap goes over the bag, slightly compressing the stoma with a Velcro closure for adjustment. I do get a bit of pancaking, but it's nice to look "normal" for a while. I wear this belt when I go to church or out to dinner. Any time I want to minimize the ostomy under my clothing.

I modified a 4-inch belt by cutting off the prolapse strap. Then I attached Velcro on the cut end of the strap and belt. This allowed me to center the strap directly over my stoma, then push it straight down, evening out the pressure.

High quality, comfortable fit. I can wear them all day. Nu-Hope offers many customization and fit options.

Nu-Hope is located in Pacoima, California, USA.