What supports the urostomy bag for most daily activities?

Replies
Views
aejohnson56
May 30, 2024 5:35 pm

I'm a soon-to-be newbie to this world. Do people use underwear to tuck the bags into? What type and brand? Are some types of support straps ever used? Can the bag just typically hang loose over the pants?

Bryce
May 30, 2024 8:11 pm

Hi AE,

My urostomy surgery was 15 years ago, and for 14 of those years, I have been a Coloplast user. To me, the straps are vital for a couple of reasons: a) the weight of the urine pulling down on the barrier is way out of proportion to the volume, so you need the straps for support; b) straps reduce the sideways motion as well, particularly if you are active. Most manufacturers provide barriers with strap/belt fasteners, and I would definitely encourage their use. Here is a little trick that I learned not that long ago. Most belts have a bulge where the material is doubled over; you can reverse the belt so the bulge is on the right or left, and this more evenly distributes the wear on the skin. I tuck the bag into my boxer briefs so nothing flops around. Good luck!

Best,

Bryce

(Go Vols)

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 35,000 members who truly understand you.

It's not all about ostomy. We talk about everything.

Many come here for advice or to give advice, others have found good friends, and some have even found love. Most importantly, people here are honest and genuinely care.

🛑 Privacy is very important - we have many features that are only visible to members, ensuring a safe and secure environment for you to share and connect.

Create an account and you will be amazed by the warmth of this community.

aejohnson56
May 30, 2024 9:16 pm
Reply to Bryce

Thanks, Bryce, that's very helpful!

Go Vols! Lol

elwick
Jun 01, 2024 12:53 pm

Hi, I use the belt provided by the pouch manufacturer every day, but I use a support belt for anything that requires the use of stomach muscles... see sash belts Elwiick

Happy-but-Newbie
Jun 03, 2024 12:09 pm

I prefer wearing sleeves to a belt, helps me feel more secure and feel the bag supported to...

And any elastic underwear with a high waist will work fine... also elasticated cotton, if you prefer a bit of healthy breathability ;-)

They're not the sexiest, but sure the comfiest.

How to Manage Emotions with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
Play