Decline in Convatec Quality? Seeking Alternatives and Experiences

Replies
Views
drsnickers2
Jun 02, 2024 4:29 pm

I've been using Convatec products for nearly 27 years now, and I've seen a decline in the quality of the pouches.

Login to see image

I use 413161 wafers and 401512 pouches. Just this year, I've begun to suffer leaks in the pouches in the tail right where the clip hinges, that is, the left side of the pouch. I noticed that this "new" collection of pouches doesn't seem to be sealed properly. That is, up until this year, the pouches that I used all seemed to be stamped closed on the edges with a prominent "ridge" that seals them tightly. The "new" pouches are flat, no ridgeline, almost as if they missed the final stamping sealing at the end of the production process. (In the picture, the “old” pouch is the one on top, clearly sealed with ridges, and the bottom one is the “new” pouch with a plain flat seal.) At any rate, the “new” pouches break open and leak on the left side at the clip hinge. They don't tear, just break open through the quasi-seal. I've contacted Convatec and spoken with several very understanding and concerned nurses who say that they know of no new design of the pouches, send me replacements, but the replacements have been the same unstamped, ridge-less pouches that simply break open after a day or two of use. Right now, I've agreed to send a box of new pouches back to them, with the breakage spots inked out so that they can send them to quality control to get a determination. (I would think that they would know if the pouches had been redesigned, but I get little response to that question. They say that they don't know, that they haven't been informed.) So I'll send the box of pouches to them when I receive the mailer. Until then, I've been trying out Hollister and Coloplast products just in case I need to switch brands. (So far, Hollister has the longest wear time and is the most comfortable.) Questions: have any of you noticed a difference in the way that your pouches have been sealed? Have any of you tried Hollister and Coloplast? Which one seems to suit you better and why? (And yes, btw, I've tried several different clips, and no, I don't clip them above the curve.)

kittybou
Jun 02, 2024 5:19 pm

The plastic on the Hollister pouches is noisier and maybe thinner, but no problems yet.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 35,000 members who truly understand you.

It's not all about ostomy. We talk about everything.

Many come here for advice or to give advice, others have found good friends, and some have even found love. Most importantly, people here are honest and genuinely care.

🛑 Privacy is very important - we have many features that are only visible to members, ensuring a safe and secure environment for you to share and connect.

Create an account and you will be amazed by the warmth of this community.

AlexT
Jun 02, 2024 6:50 pm

Send them a bag that leaked; it'll get more attention than sending them a brand new bag that hasn't had an issue yet.

gentlejohn
Jun 02, 2024 10:09 pm

Report it to Convatec. I have found that at 5-7 days the end of my ileostomy Hollister bags start coming apart. Duct tape has been helpful when I need another day or two. I have no experience with Convatec.

Kas
Jun 03, 2024 12:36 am

I can feel the little ridge on the seal on these. You're welcome to them if they'll work for you. There are 7 bags left and 2 clips.

Login to see image

Staying Hydrated with an Ostomy with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
Play
Hisbiscus
Jun 03, 2024 11:23 am

It's probably a defect. Call them and they will want the lot numbers from the box. They will send you new ones. If you're happy with the pouch, why switch? I've had defective Coloplast that leaked from the bottom, and I've heard of Hollister and others lately as well.

ron in mich
Jun 03, 2024 12:39 pm

Hi all, I've used Convatec products for 30 some years and haven't had any problems. I use an opaque bag, not the clear.

IGGIE
Jun 03, 2024 4:02 pm

Good day! I use Hollister and never have any problems. I use the two-piece Convex Wafer 11503 and the Drainable Bag 18182. I also use the Welland Seal WMHWA300 as well as the Welland Barrier Spray. It's all trial and error. Regards, IGGIE.

drsnickers2
Jun 03, 2024 4:07 pm
Reply to Kas

Thanks for the offer, but I don't use that size pouch.

drsnickers2
Jun 03, 2024 4:09 pm
Reply to Hisbiscus

Thanks for the suggestion, but I've already done that three times, and three times I was sent boxes of the same flat "sealed" pouches. That's why I'm wondering if anyone else has seen a change in the way that the pouches are sealed.

Mysterious Mose
Jun 03, 2024 5:42 pm
Reply to gentlejohn

If you are having issues with Hollister Velcro starting to wear out before you are done with the bag, I suggest you use an "Iggie clip".

https://www.meetanostomate.org/uploads/1706164005.JPG

Hisbiscus
Jun 03, 2024 8:24 pm
Reply to drsnickers2

Are you ordering from Amazon or a medical supplier?

drsnickers2
Jun 03, 2024 10:41 pm
Reply to Hisbiscus

I have ordered from Medical Care Products in Jacksonville, FL for years. These folks are supremely trustworthy.

IGGIE
Jun 05, 2024 9:00 am
Reply to Mysterious Mose

Your commission is in the post, honestly.
Regards, IGGIE

Mysterious Mose
Jun 05, 2024 2:55 pm
Reply to IGGIE

😎

ZZNIPER
Jun 07, 2024 11:11 am

I've been using Sensura Coloplast #15521 and AllKare protective barrier wipes; they both give a great seal.

TKRain
Jun 09, 2024 3:21 pm

I have used Convatec products for many years. I have had issues with a couple of pouches in the past couple of years, and I have noticed the seam doesn't look or feel the same. Convatec has helped me, and they should help you if you call them.

kittybou
Jun 09, 2024 8:07 pm
Reply to TKRain

ConvaTec has a stoma nurse who is very kind, patient, and full of helpful information!

ksimm
Jun 26, 2024 5:13 am

Had an identical problem 2 years ago with urostomy bags… notified Convatec of their heat seal equipment problem (I have experience in the heat seal process) and poor quality control. They sent replacements but the same problem, same production lot #. Changed companies and had far better results. Now back with Convatec and a different product and so far so good. But it was frustrating times 2 years ago. Good luck! -Keith