Appliance Connector

Replies
Views
spillman31

Does anyone have a hint on easy installation of the plastic white gizmo that connects the appliance with the night bag? And, also how to remove the gizmo for additional use.

sweede
Hi Spillman, gosh there are many plastic gizmos, I'm unsure of the kind you are talking about. Most night drainage bags have a connector attached to them and are designed especially for the type of pouch you are using. Some clip on and some simply push on.

I have only come across one universal connector, which in my opinion isn't that universal lol, but it is merely a short soft plastic tube of sorts. I had one when I had my urostomy. Sometimes they are a little tight to slide on, so what I used to do with a new one is submerge it in warm water for a couple of minutes to soften it further and then slide it onto the drain tube of the overnight bag. It kinda shrinks it onto the plastic tip, and removing it was a case of slightly rolling back the edge of the connector and it slips right off.

Does this help? What pouches are you using, dude? And does the manufacturer of your pouches not have a drainage bag that fits onto the tap?
Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,370 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Whoa
Hi Spillman31,
I agree with Sweede, the only universal adapter is a piece of rubber or latex tubing. The manufacturer of whatever type of urostomy pouch you use may be able to assist you; most of them use the pinch and pull technique. If you look on your box of appliances, there is usually a 1-800 phone number to call for assistance. If you have issues with hand/finger dexterity, they or your ostomy nurse may be able to give you some suggestions.

Sorry I haven't been of much help.
waldo
Hi Spillman,
This really doesn't answer your question but I would like to offer it up to you anyway. After about 6 months of using the overnight bag, I went cold turkey and just stopped using it. I try to limit my fluid intake late at night as much as possible, but even when I don't, I find that I subconsciously check on my pouch in the middle of the night and often get up to drain. The benefits are that I'm not tethered to that tube all night and can toss and turn freely. Plus, not having to care for the overnight bag in the morning is awesome.
Best wishes,
Jay
Whoa
Waldo, I am glad you brought this up.

Per Waldo's suggestion, yes, not connecting to night drainage is an option. It is somewhat frowned upon in the ostomy nurse world for a few reasons. Many folks don't take enough fluids during the day, and if they cut back early in the night, there is a possibility of getting dehydrated. Yet, it is still a good option for some that find the tubing and night drainage bag difficult or cumbersome, and I also offer that when someone is having issues.

The negatives to not connecting to night drainage are having to get up at night, potential for a ballooning of the pouch, leakage from being overfull, or rolling on it and wet bed if you don't awaken to empty, potential reflux of urine to the stoma and any skin not covered, potential reflux into the conduit. Many folks make huge amounts of urine at night; for them, it may be difficult to get up 1-2 times/night to empty and have difficulty falling back to sleep.

Having said all of the above, I would also say that I have not seen actual research that proves there is substantial reflux to go back to the stoma, nor if there is enough reflux to cause issues with the stoma or peristomal skin; most pouches for urostomies have anti-reflux valves. Unless it is grossly full, it may not be an issue. It is a theory that is taught to ostomy nurses in their schooling. If there is new research on this, I am not aware of it.

Stories of Living Life to the Fullest from Ostomy Advocates I Hollister