Leaking and Large Tummy with Urostomy: Seeking Advice

Replies
Views
girlygirl

Wish my stomach wasn't so big! One consultant says I have a pastoral hernia.
Another one says I haven't! Don't know where I stand! My tummy opposite my stoma
looks bigger than the stoma half. I leak every day but not from the stoma. It's either the
(wee pipe) that's been left in after surgery or it's coming from my vagina, but I can't tell which it is! Anyone else have this problem? Going to see the consultant again next Friday, hoping to sort it once and for all!

Past Member
Hey girlygirl,

How are you doing? I don't know how long ago you had your op, but some leakage 'down there' is normal for a while. My surgeon says the vagina acts as a natural drain after abdominal surgery, which only a man would say, and makes you wonder what happens to them! Do they have a natural gutter?

I've also been told by the stoma nurse that I may have a slight hernia, but on the other hand, that swelling after surgery can take ages to settle down. I'm more swollen on the stoma side.

Hope things get sorted soon for you anyway.

Angelinthemaking
Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate
girlygirl

Thanks for your feedback, Angel. I had my urostomy done 18 months ago.
How long did you suffer from this, or is it a lifelong thing? Love to hear from you again. x

Past Member

Eeek! Now I'm traumatized... I only had my surgery in March so I was kind of hoping it would go away...

girlygirl

Ah, bless you. The funny thing is mine only started to happen 6 months ago!
Going to see my consultant on Friday, praying there'll be no more surgery. Take care, x

Staying Hydrated with an Ostomy with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
Past Member

Let me know what happens...be thinking of you!

girlygirl

Does anyone have bowel problems or soreness? Probably vaginal! I never leak from my bag, but I have to wear pads because of leaking down below! Confused!!! Also, whatever I eat, I get trapped wind or, at the very least, tummy ache. Haven't actually heard you guys speak about these problems, so I'm wondering if it's just me! Mine's a urostomy, by the way (ileal conduit). xx Take care everyone, x

alma mater

Hi girly girl

I had my urostomy 2 years ago. The bad news for me was that the leak would probably be constant. I also have a stent which is supposed to help. I hope your leak will dry up soon, but there are worse things in life, alma mater.

girlygirl

Thanks, Alma. I've more stuff to worry about now!! Trying me on HRT 'cause my skin inside is so thin. I'm burning all through my body. They say it's radiotherapy from 23 years ago!! So yes, Alma, the leaking is the least of my worries. Take care.

Missymo

Does anyone suffer from bad constipation and a burning tummy and vagina? It's dreadful! I'm sure mine is intestinal! Been like this for 10 months, it's awful!