Recurring Crohn's after ileostomy: Diagnosis and treatment?

Replies
Views
rosebud621

Has anyone experienced Crohn's symptoms after having an ileostomy? How was it diagnosed and how did they treat it?

WOUNDED DOE
Hi.... Yeah, unfortunately I am one of many who still suffers from Crohn's even after the ileostomy. I was given my ostomy at age ten, and I am soon to be age 46. I have had 6 surgeries due to my Crohn's and each time they reverse my ostomy to the opposite side. Treatment for Crohn's is not simple. There are, however, many more promising trials with meds these days than ever before, and many of us with Crohn's have different symptoms and different treatments we try, though there is no cure for that Crohn's monster. Some people can eat only certain foods, others of us can eat anything. Some are treated with over-the-counter meds and some try IV treatments like Remicade or injections like Humira. It seems different things work for different people to help put into remission or alleviate symptoms a bit. That is the difficult thing about a disease like Crohn's, there is no cure, only trial and error in finding what works best for the individual. Crohn's can return after getting an ileo, BUT having an ostomy (trust this old lady) does make life easier in SO many ways. I had a reversal surgery when I was 13 and that did not work out and I will never try again. My life is much better with the ostomy.
Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,367 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

frizbeekid

You were very young when this all began, and as you put it yourself, an old lady now. I did not know someone could still have Crohn's after an ileostomy. Do you still take meds for Crohn's? If you don't mind me asking.

mooza

Well said WD - ..I have tried all the IVS Humira injections. Found Remicade helped me, but 3 infusions seemed to get a bit tougher. The first Remicade lasted a lovely 3 months, the next 2 were 6 weeks. But I have also had reversals. But I'm pretty sure I don't have Crohn's anymore. Hoping, but I think I'm pretty good since this Ileo. I was 23, so youngish but not as young as WD. Wow, anybody as a child, my heart goes out to you MOOZA.

WOUNDED DOE

Hi frizbeekid....lol yup, I'm an 'old Crohnie' hehe....Crohn's is something that only goes into remission and sort of lurks in the shadows. However, I did make it 18 years in remission before my last surgery, which was last November.    Oh, and you can ask me whatever you like, no problem.  .....The meds I've been on over the years have been many...everything from Prednisone to Remicade and Flagyl, and some things that this very tired old mind isn't recalling at the moment. But each treatment, for me, did not work as it made things worse with bad side effects :/    BUT some people do very well, especially those with milder cases of Crohn's....In fact, I knew a gent who lived in my same town who had Crohn's at a very early age and lived to be 87 and swore by the fact that keeping stress out of his life, eating lots of garlic, fish, and tons of fresh fruit kept him in better health.    He required mild sedatives for sleep and anxiety and rarely drank anything except his own fresh well water and swore by that as well lol....Who knows....I currently am on no meds at all because they haven't found anything I don't have bad reactions to.    One thing I have learned over the many years and especially now knowing so many others with Crohn's is that most of us agree that upheavals in stress in our lives do bring on attacks of our Crohn's and symptoms become much worse.    Fish oil capsules seem to help me.

How to Manage Ostomy Leaks with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
WOUNDED DOE

Hiya Mooza! Awww, you are so sweet..... Yeah, living with Crohn's is not fun and certainly not easy, but I try not to let most of my experiences in life be negative from the Crohn's..... So instead, I try to get more fun into my life despite my Crohn's........ I try to stay ahead of that monster and not let it rule my life........
rosebud621

Thank you for sharing, I have some symptoms after 32 years and I am hoping it is not Crohn's! My Dr. says it could be an ulcer, gastritis, or Crohn's, the symptoms are so similar. Has anyone tried swallowing the pill that takes pictures?