The Take Down

In this discussion
Replies
Views
windycottage

Had a surgery that went bad. The doctor put in a temporary colostomy and said the longer we wait, the better for take down. He said 6 months. Anyone go through this and how did it come out? Going on 3 weeks after surgery.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,086 members. Get inside and you will see.

We're not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed in the forums.

It's a very special community, embracing all ages and backgrounds. People are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Past Member

Hey, you might want to post this question in the Ostomy section at the very top of the forum home page. We have 2 excellent nurses who know just about everything. They may not always have the time to check the entire forum, but do check the Ostomy question part almost daily. Good luck.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate
Past Member

I have been through this twice. I now have a permanent ileostomy. Everyone is different and this makes my life a whole lot easier than a J-pouch. You should head over to www.jpouch.org and hang around for a while to get a feel of what life would be like, good and bad. Hopefully more good than bad.

jakenjypsy44
Just had this done on July 1, 2009. I had a colostomy and developed some hernias. The surgery went great, the doctor removed the hernias, took down the colostomy, did a bit of extra tummy tuck work and I was home in 5 days.

It is now seven weeks since the procedure. Two weeks after the procedure they removed the staples, then last week (6 weeks) I went back in and he removed all these stitches that were there from all the extra work.

At first I would not recommend this to anyone because I was having a lot of intermittent pain from the stitches, got bound up a couple of times, but a mild laxative worked great. A lot of my problems were not from the actual surgery but other things. I would feel great for half a day then feel miserable.

Now that the stitches are out, WOW, I feel wonderful. They were causing most of my problems. Still have to wear the girdle thing to keep everything tight. Go back to my surgeon next week for another check-up, (need to find out if I can start bowling). Hitting the throne every day regularly. Using the Activia with fiber really helps, much better than playing around with laxatives, stool softeners or other stuff.

Don't hesitate on having this done. The first few weeks are the hardest to get used to, then WHAM, you will feel great again and get back to a normal life. A regular take down is probably a lot easier than what I had done and you will recoup a lot faster.

GOD BLESS GOOD LUCK
junopete
Windy, generally it's true, the longer the better. The intestine is very slow to heal.
I don't know if you are talking about J pouch surgery or not. In many cases, the doctor will re-hook the intestine in about 8 weeks after the J pouch surgery.

After my second operation, I was told to wait 6 months to get hooked back up. So I waited, at the end of 6 months, I went knocking on my surgeon's door. The guy says he can't hook me up because he cut out all of my colon. That was the first I had heard of that. Of course, I was shocked to say the least. So I had another surgeon do the J pouch thing.

The gut is slow to heal and prone to scar tissue. Many doctors want the extra time for the inflammation to go down and the scar tissue to normalize. The extra time does, to some extent, give a better percentage of a successful surgery. Pardon my terrible spelling.

Good luck

Rick.....

Staying Hydrated with an Ostomy with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
cee

Six years ago, I had a temporary ileostomy post-surgery. They did the reconnect after 3 months. The reconnect was not a big deal at all. Due to my problems, I now have a permanent colostomy (for 2 weeks). One thing I noticed is when you do not expect a permanent ostomy, you don't pay much attention to things. When you know it is for good, you sit up and listen. And go online! I never did that 6 years ago. Good luck.

Past Member

I too am in the same position, I had my surgery in January this year and my take down is penciled in for Christmas. I was also told that the longer between surgeries, the higher the success rate. xx

jakenjypsy44

I had my temporary colostomy in October 2008. They did the takedown on July 1, 2009. And as you can see from my post above, all went well - time was 9 1/2 months between surgeries.

Past Member

It's great to see everyone getting on with their J-pouch. I've had an ileostomy for 3 years now, and my temporary ostomy for a year. I had a wound beside my stoma, which is why my doctor couldn't go ahead with my reversal. That's all healed now, so I should be going in soon for my takedown. I really hope everything turns out okay.