Preparing for Takedown Surgery: Nervous but Excited

Replies
Views
Brooklyn kara
Nervous but excited about tomorrow. I have been reading some of the threads here and am brand new to the site. I am grateful to have had the ileostomy so my body had a chance to heal but am truly hoping all goes well with the operation and future.

I have a collapsed disk in my back and sleeping on it for the past 7 months because of the bag has caused me constant daily excruciating pain. I haven't slept through the night and have had so many accidents.

I am so glad I found this site. Gained so much information so I am much better prepared for what happens post operation and what worked for people diet and supplement (fiber) wise. Thank you for that.
Primeboy

Everything is going to be fine. Be sure to stay in touch. PB (not originally from Brooklyn but 6 years in Carroll Gardens gotta be worth something.)

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,435 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

mitdad

Good luck and only positive thoughts. Barry (originally from Brighton Beach, Brooklyn).

Slow momma

Good luck on your surgery...will keep you in my prayers. I'm new here too and I found this site very helpful too. I've only had my ostomy for 3 months so I've been trying to get used to having one. It's a big change. Keep us posted as to how you're doing. Barbara

WOUNDED DOE

Hope things are going well! Keep us posted on how you're feeling and take care! Healing thoughts being sent your way......

~Doe

How to Manage Emotions with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
dnl74

Good luck, I was scheduled last Thursday to have it reversed, but at the last hour, Dr. came in and talked and it was decided it my best interest not to have it done. WAY too many issues and the colon he was going to reattach was still eaten up with diverticulitis. So it's here to stay but I am alive. Would love to have had it gone, but it's not happening so will accept it, going to be okay. Lots of family support.

Brooklyn kara
Hello all. Thank you so much for the good wishes. The surgery went fine. I am still in the hospital as I have had a few minor complications. The doctor wanted to leave the site open to heal from the inside out. I have had terrible stomach pain. I kept telling my surgeon's residents. I was told to walk more because it was gas from the laparoscopic surgery. This morning they took a look and my skin had covered over the wound site drain. They had to cut it open, remove the drain, and squeeze out the accumulated fluid. One of them casually remarks, "This might have been part of your belly pain." Gee, you think! So painful. Now I have a fever, high blood pressure, and still pain. Last night I had violent dry heaves, then threw up a bit a few hours later.

The good news is that with the small items I have been able to eat (farina, pudding, etc. - tiny amounts), I produced my first bowel movements in over 7 months. Woohoo. I am also able to sleep on my side without fear of an accident. If my fever goes down and my potassium level stays good, I may go home tomorrow.

My surgeon stopped by and I let him know what had transpired as he was never informed by his residents. I think there will be a lot of Ensure in my near future until my tummy calms down. I will have a visiting nurse service to help with wound care. I really want to be home with my hubby and my comfy recliner and to see my 80 lb. lap dog Roxy. She has been such a comfort to me since I got ill.

I am so lucky as I was able to get a disability pension from my civil service job because I had over 27 years of service at 47. Now I must be positive that I will be a survivor.

Thank you all again. If I can be of any help to new patients, I am here. I struggled with getting the right bag for the first month.

Best, Kara
kurly

Hi Kara, I'm new here so this is the first time you've heard from me. Congrats on your surgery!!
I wish you a speedy recovery, Gina (not from Brooklyn originally but I'm here now).

Primeboy

Glad to hear the surgery went well and that you're getting to go home tomorrow. For what it's worth, I think the worst time to schedule surgery, if you have a choice, is in July or August when the new batch of interns and residents arrive, ready to learn at your expense. All of my surgeries in the past 10 years have been in January or May, and I feel pretty fortunate. Good luck in your recovery.        

PB
Slow momma

Sorry to hear of the problems that you had, but I'm glad you're doing better now. My wounds are open as well to heal from the inside out. It's a long process... hope you get to go home soon... take it easy and get some rest... Barbara