Finding Stylish Urostomy Clothing?

Replies
Views
vpl
How do you manage to find smart clothes to wear following a urostomy? I can't wear my bag over trousers and cover it with a floppy shirt or jumper as it fills up so quickly and it's heavy. I have to tuck it inside to support the weight of the liquid. I empty my bag at least once an hour as it gets so heavy.

Apart from elastic-waisted skirts or jogger pants (yuck!), I can't find anything suitable to wear. Even wearing tights restricts the constant flow, and I hate the bulge showing from beneath my clothes when it fills.

Help!
CanadaNana
I guess it depends on where your stoma is located. Mine is to the right of my navel and about 2 or 3 inches below.

I wear firmly supporting panties - not specialty stuff, just with more support than cotton. I buy the high-waisted style. I'm in Canada, and Elita is the brand I buy - not sure if it's available in other countries. Emptying your pouch often will help you get rid of the bulgy feeling. But remember that you are much more aware of it than anybody else will be.

I also buy "Not Your Daughter's Jeans" as they have a waist at your natural waistline. Low-rise jeans would have the waistband right at my stoma, and I don't think I'd be comfortable with that. I know that there are jeans at Reitmans that have comfortable waistbands at your natural waist as well.

I think that dresses and skirts can be a little less comfortable as you have to rely on only your underwear for support. I guess in that case, you could buy Spanx or something along that line to hold your pouch fairly firmly so you won't notice the weight so much. I am surprised that wearing tights restricts the flow - I've never had that problem. Perhaps if your stoma is located right at your navel, the waistband of the tights is a problem?
Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate
vpl

Thanks for your suggestions, CanadaNana. Unfortunately, I am unable to wear any kind of jeans or fitted trousers as they don't stretch as the pouch fills up. This is the problem.

Here in the UK, we are allowed 6 pairs of specialty knickers with pockets a year on prescription. These do help to support the pouch, but sometimes it feels like your whole life centers around finding somewhere to empty it as it sloshes around like a hot water bottle stuck on your front.

When you wear your jeans, is your pouch able to fill up as jeans are close fitting? If I don't have a free flow into the pouch, I sometimes get a kidney infection even though I empty out frequently.

Past Member
Hi Vpl,

We all have different bodies and different feelings about them, but on the whole, I think living with a urostomy is a bit less easy than most of us thought before the op, especially where vanity is concerned!

I'm in the UK and I've found Comfizz prescription boxers to be the best as they support the weight of a filling bag, cutting out some of the sloshing, and the short legs mean there's not so much tugging on the elastic at the top of your thigh. They also do long support vests and come in some colors other than black, white, and neutral. Woohoo!

Some people swear by maternity trousers, I believe, but I've not tried them myself and NYDJ is way too expensive for me. Very mail order does some high waist stretch jeans that are OK, but the best thing I've found to wear personally is either leggings and a long top/short dress or the linen trousers I've designed myself that have extra room around the tummy and a high elastic waist but look perfectly normal from the thighs down. So, if you wear them with a loose shirt or blouse, no one knows any different! I'm thinking of making some needlecord ones for winter. Do you sew? It's not hard to make yourself some if you do...

Angelinthemaking
vpl

Hi Angelinthemaking, it looks like you could be on to a winner should you decide to start a 'Cottage Industry' in making trousers for those of us that have an ostomy and don't know one end of a needle from the other.

How to Manage Ostomy Leaks with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
Past Member

Well, I'm not in the best of health and currently on benefits, so I can't do much in the way of work or make any money. But I'd be happy to make you a pair to try if you covered the cost of materials and postage and were prepared to wait a while. The ones I make for me are about a 10-12. What size are you? PM me if you're interested.

girlygirl

Hi VPL, I've asked a few urostomy mates if they suffer from what appears to be vaginal discharge. I could go without wearing a sanitary pad daily; it smells too! The consultant doesn't seem to be worried by it, but I get very sore and itchy. It's upsetting at times. Anyone out there suffer with the same thing? Would love to go just one day without pads at least!! Xx

vpl

Hello girlygirl, I've got the same problem and had the same answers from my GP and surgeon, namely no infection and don't know. I also get a very large amount of mucus from the stoma. I too would like some answers but the medics don't appear to have them.

girlygirl

Glad I'm not the only one vpl. It's nice to know I'm not alone on this. I weather high waisted pants and jeans, but skirts and dresses are better for me. I used to wear fitted clothes, but that's impossible now. But I guess it's because I've lost the choice of what to wear!! Guess we'll have to grin and bear it, xxxx.

girlygirl

In actual fact, I suffer with my bowels more than the bag. Doctors put it down to radiotherapy damage from years ago when things were not as advanced as they are today. It can be quite upsetting at times. xx

Missymo

Vpli, I know exactly what you mean!!! But the tight pants should keep your bag in place, although I would love just one day and night not to be trussed up as a chicken!! Lol, unfortunately, there's not much freedom with a urostomy bag because they fill up so quickly,