Do bags leak in hot weather? Need advice for upcoming trip to Portugal!

In this discussion
Replies
Views
Scott Chance
Hi everybody,

As always, apologies if this is a stupid question. However....

On Tuesday, I am flying out to Portugal, which will be my first overseas holiday since getting my ileostomy three years ago, so something of a landmark for me.

When I booked the holiday, the expected temperature over there was in the mid to late 20's Celsius (on average about 77 degrees Fahrenheit), nothing I haven't experienced before, so not a problem.

However, I gather September is now expected to be unseasonably hot over there, with the temperature being around the 34 degree Celsius (93 Fahrenheit!) mark on the first few days of my stay. A nice treat for the sunbathers, but it's giving me worries that the adhesive that holds my bag on might start to melt in the hot temperature?

Are these worries unfounded or do I need to be taking precautions under such heat? I know to make sure I am hydrated, but it's the potential for the stoma glue melting away that is causing me concern. As somebody who lives in a milder climate, 34 degrees isn't something I've experienced since having the surgery.

Can those who either live in hot climates or who have been to them advise?

Thank you for taking the time to read this.
Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,106 members. Get inside and you will see.

We're not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed in the forums.

It's a very special community, embracing all ages and backgrounds. People are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Past Member
Not a stupid question at all, Scott.

I have an ileostomy and until recently lived in Perth, Western Australia, where the summertime temperatures usually hover around the 42 to 45C+ mark (sometimes unfortunately for weeks at a time).

I never had issues with my bag coming away, never had any leaks. As long as you apply the baseplate correctly when you change it (making sure it's clean and dry), you should be fine.

I spent time at the beach, swam in the surf, and even on the hottest days, it didn't decrease my wear time (usually about 5 to 6 days). In fact, I think sometimes the salt water and heat actually made the base adhere more to my skin.

But yes, it is important to stay well hydrated during the summer (and at all times, really, with an ileo). And always take twice as many supplies as you think you may need, even if you don't have to use them, just to be safe.

It sounds like it will be a great trip. Portugal (and Spain) are countries I would like to visit. I have heard the Portuguese food and wine are great (some places where they have several meals a day - sounds like my kinda holiday!)

Congrats on your first overseas trip.
Tenha um bom feriado (have a good holiday)!
Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate
Scott Chance

Thanks Jo for taking the time to reply and your reassuring comments. After returning to work, having days out locally, taking internal flights, and attending a music festival, going overseas is very much the final step for me in terms of getting back to how life was before the illness, so hopefully I'll put some demons behind me and have a good time.

Thanks again.

WOUNDED DOE
Hi Scott, Jo's right...in most situations there is little to worry about.

Everyone is different...choice of pouches are different, some more trustworthy than others...everyone's skin is a bit different, some people have allergies to tapes and such and other people might have a problem with skin 'weeping' and things like that can cause a few minor problems, but usually no biggie...up here in North Central Wisconsin things can become quite humid, dastardly so in fact, and that has a few times caused a little problem with tapes and seals lifting up, but I have had my ostomy for 37 years now and only had a few leaks... It sounds like Jo has better and longer 'wear time' with her pouches than I do, I am forced to change more often...but that likely due to my skin allergies and rejection to tapes.

The only other thing I can think of at the moment is the apparent fact that often ileos can sometimes cause more leaks than colostomies because the output is more liquid and acidic, especially the shorter the gut, the better and more secure seal you must have.

Keep extra pouches on you at all times, just in case, so you're never caught in a 'situation'...I'm always in the 'just in case' mode, lol...but you will likely do very well.

~Doe
Snookis Mum
Hi Scott,

I agree with everything the others said, but you should also know that occasionally bags will leak on airplanes. I always securely tape the edges before a flight and make sure that the gas doesn't build up during the flight.

Another tip is to get your bag as flat as possible before going through airport security and have a little card which tells them that you have an ostomy. You can get that on the TSA website: http://www.tsa.gov/traveler-information/ostomies

I hope you have a wonderful trip - Portugal is lovely.

Sandi

Getting Support in the Ostomy Community with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
Annabelle
Hi Scott

I went to Portugal two years ago and the temperature was around 30-35 degrees. I had no problems with the bag and no leaks.

I agree with the comments here, I always carry a roll of Micropore tape with me so I can do a quick repair if the base plate edges start to lift. You can now get curved tape from makers like Colorplast which does a similar job and makes the edges more secure in case of leaks. If you contact them they will send you a sample.

I would also suggest you contact the IA in the UK, they issue travel cards which you can produce at the airport if need be and they also offer a lot of advice for travelling. Don't forget to pack dressings in hand luggage.

I hope you have a great time.

Anita
Verdun
Hi Scott

Just returned from a trip abroad, so do take a medical note with you. You can get them from your stoma supplier, as I was stopped and asked why I had adhesive remover in my bag. They were very good when shown the document and let me pass through. Also, I think the stoma pouches stick better in the heat, but you do seem to sweat a lot more.