Major Blowout

Replies
Views
pastorpatricia

I just had a colostomy, things did not go well and I've been in the hospital for two weeks. Long story and I won't bore you with it here. Last night, my first night at home, I had a major blowout. Does anyone know how to get the smell out of the sheets and PJs? We've washed them in hot water and now they're out on the line airing. Any help on this or hints on another subject would be appreciated.

janice

I have an ileostomy on my right side and a mucus fistula on my left. Not sure if the smell of a colostomy is different from mine or not.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,320 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Mike

You are not alone. I have had 3 or 4 since my surgery in Feb 2008. The best way I have found is to get some Febreze. It really works.

Past Member

I have a jejunostomy, so I have lots of blowouts. I just wash clothes and sheets on a hot wash with conditioner.

gutenberg
For the first couple of years I had many blowouts and I used Spray and Wash on the stains, sometimes I'd run the worst ones through for a second time and use those small sheets that make them fresh as a daisy. Now I have myself trained to wake up at 3AM, but getting back to sleep, well Its a work in progress. Good Luck

How to Manage Ostomy Leaks with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
Past Member

Hiya, I'm not really sure on how to eliminate the odor after a blowout. I've had to throw out several pairs of underwear and also bed sheets, mainly because it seems quite hard to remove the stains. The other night, I had one too and had to strip, shower, and remove my bed sheets all whilst my boyfriend was fast asleep. I'm so glad he's a deep sleeper!
I do know that if you pop Tic Tac mints or any other strong mint into your pouch after you empty it, you are left with a sweet smell rather than the smell we all too well have become accustomed to, lol! If you put some in before bed and this happens, then I promise the stench is not half as bad! xx

Past Member

Hiya,

Vanish, Oxyclean (the cleaning detergent in a pink tub), carpet/rug stain remover, or carpet pet stain remover all work in removing all stains and thus any smell. My grandmother swears by white vinegar for just about anything. It is acidic but doesn't smell great itself. I have never tried the vinegar but can recommend the rest if it is of any help.

All the best,
Neil
alligator
Washing once maybe twice should do it. Ive had a colostomy for 10 year and have had numerous major blowouts in bed, in public once standing at my doctors office receptionship desk. Its always embarassing but I just say to hell with it and run if its in public Its a fact of life as we with bags need to live with.
ostomom

I wash all poopy items together with a little bleach. I haven't had it ruin anything (yet), although some items become faded after washing. I have not had a problem with smell that this could not help. You will want to put something down on the bed to protect the mattress from stain/smell if you have not already. I use fleece throw blankets, they are easier to wash than an entire mattress pad and are cheap!

tarababy

Hi, after a blow-out, I wash in bleach, NappySan, and normal washing powder. I haven't had trouble with a smell yet. Mind you, the stains on protection sheets can be a hassle. Bleaching helps, but you just end up getting a new one. LOL. Hope you find a cure soon. Take care, Tara.

weewee

Yup, I also have the protection sheet on my bed. What a lifesaver! It prevents destroying my favorite bed. As far as smell, well, that's what wakes me up before I am totally covered in poop. I've never had it stay in my sheets. I even have silk sheets and haven't had any problems with stinky poo. Unless you are eating something that your body doesn't like, like fish, beer, rum, and chocolate. These are my worst things. And oh yeah, the smell goes for days if I drink too much. Well, I hope you find a solution.

Another gagger for a bagger.

dee05

I've used shout and that seems to do the trick...