Sample High Protein/Low Fiber Diet

Replies
Views
Malakies

Hi all,

Those of you who eat a low fiber high protein diet, could you give me a sample of what you eat on a typical day? I have been irrigating, and have been told to try limiting my fiber to get more time between irrigating.

Thanks in advance!!

NJ Bain

Hi Malakies,

Just curious, how long have you been irrigating and how old/new is your ostomy? Just from my research, on irrigating, the body takes about 8 weeks to adjust to irrigation as long as you regiment it and perform it at the same time/s everyday. I have an ileostomy so I'm not sure if this applies, but a typical day, I'll have the following:

Tea and toast for breakfast, crackers and cheese and/or beef or turkey jerky for a snack before or after lunch.

Lunch varies between a PB&J sandwich with potato chips, turkey and lettuce, tacos, bacon cheeseburger, a grilled chicken salad, etc..etc..

Dinner is whatever I'm having but usually chicken or fish, the occasional steak, usually with rice instead of a potato and fresh greens or salad. I also like to snack on cold cuts, almonds, peanuts, cashews, pistachios, sunflower seeds or whatever suits me at the time.

I love beans too because of the high protein content but they cause so much gas and seem to be a natural source of fiber. The same with assorted nuts. I'm sure you could also try using protein drinks but they taste like crap unless you flavor them up yourself.

I'm not sure if this is helpful but it's my 2 cents worth. Good luck!

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,470 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Malakies

Hi NJbrain

I started March 9th. Going well so far! I managed to go 36 hours!! I was excited! Thanks for the response! I just hate the fact that most of the foods I love (fruits and veggies) are not agreeing with me now. Oh well, that is life! I have a colostomy, and I am lucky to be able to irrigate. It gives me a sense of control, which in the past year, I had pretty much no control. I had breast cancer, and as soon as I was done with treatment and surgery, was diagnosed with rectal cancer. (A month after mastectomy). Basically, in a year and a half, I had my life turned upside down! Along with mastectomy, implants, and rectal surgery, I also had a full hysterectomy and a vaginal reconstruction. (Cancer had involved a portion of the vagina) I am surprised at myself for handling this in such a positive way. I have a way of forgetting the bad stuff! :) Unfortunately, I have this stoma buddy to remind me of what I went through.

Enjoy your day!

mild_mannered_super_hero

Because of my recent hernia repair, I have been advised to keep my weight down. I use the Atkins diet, which works well for my situation. It's mainly meat, cheese, and eggs. I do have one small salad almost every evening with supper. NO breads, grains, starches, or sugars. I find that removing breads and grains helps my gas situation as an added benefit. It is suggested that you supplement some vitamins since you can't get them from this diet. In my experience, most guys fare well on Atkins, but most women do not. Atkins also keeps my cholesterol down, and my triglycerides are way lower than pre-Atkins. I also avoid caffeine. High protein foods satisfy your hunger well since the calorie count is high. In Atkins, you don't count calories but rather carbohydrates. Good luck.

moonshine

Eggs, cheese, meats, fish, soups, canned fruit, lots of V-8 Fusion drinks, white squishy bread but I too limit my carbs.....and of course Jack Daniels and Coca Cola works for me.....I have scleroderma and have esophageal motility problems and need lots of water as well.

Getting Support in the Ostomy Community with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
Past Member

Hi

Well, I eat a lot of eggs - either with or without yolks. I can make all sorts of dishes. I add some cheese. Poached eggs are great (in milk) on rice or toast.

I never ate eggs. My wound nurse told me to start. They are like the "perfect food" except if your cholesterol is bad.

I eat a lot of chicken breasts. If you get tender ones, you can make sandwiches or soup. I make chicken salad often and eat it on crackers or something else. Stir-fries are easy. Add veggies you like. Don't think carrots are too fibrous.

Some cereals like corn flakes or rice checks.

Just saw this week on the news that if you take any type of chemo, stay away from fish. I take a chemo pill right now.

Pretty boring sometimes. Oh well.

Susan

Malakies

Thank you, Susan!

I love eggs and chicken! Today I made a salad with chicken and egg, chopped tomato, onions, olives, and mixed greens! And I don't care if this Stoma dude goes nuts! I was craving veggies like a pregnant woman! Hahahaha

Take care!

Ewesful

I have to eat this diet for life as you probably do, but I work with seasonings for good flavors. I try to eat potato in some form every day - sweet or white. I have to eat a lot of butter and gravies as I have several organs compromised (including stomach and pancreas). Remember to drink lots of water -- I use weak tea and find the warm or hot tea very helpful. Soda and all carbonation is a disaster. Green beans, avocado, all meats, are all excellent.

I make sure I get a large glass of whole milk. For munchies -- cheese and crackers, cottage cheese, deviled eggs, popcorn that I make myself - no chemicals - lots of peanut butter.

I bake my own baked beans and freeze up small containers and have them with high-quality hotdogs. Lunches are often toasted cheese, ham, corned beef, etc. on white bread. I cannot manage the chemicals so I use a slow cooker and make up a lot at once and use the freezer.

There is a whole lot you can do with winter squash too -- I am now able to have some lettuce and I love tomatoes but have to use sugar for them to digest. Berries, bananas, hot chocolate -- eggs of all kinds - quiche are all good.

I did discover products using baking powder do not set well and I cannot handle pasta except in very tiny amounts. I love artichokes too - hard to get good ones here but on occasion I indulge.....lobster is fabulous as well as real scallops for digestion - also salmon fillets. I buy good quality and eat well knowing the nutrition is hard to get right. I eat smallish meals three times a day and have 3 good snacks to even things out as there is so little stomach left.

I am not supposed to eat yogurt, uncooked veggies, but I taste things and watch to see what works --- peas and corn are actually okay once you are well healed - I am 2 years post-surgery and just recently I started getting good results there. I do not eat any medium or high fiber food.

My nutritionist said once I was a year out and well into the healing to forget looking at food limits but try to look at food as a rainbow array and pick carefully the things you know taste good and are safe in your body - (everyone is different and with us it changes a lot so be prepared) -- then try new things and enjoy food so it does not become a burden -- I liked the concept and found I started to really get excited about food again. I cannot eat nuts and olives purely will not digest but some pickles do - cranberry sauce has turned out to be super and I keep trying combos --- I did end up in the hospital when hot peppers were cooked in a pork recipe at a restaurant -- and the reaction was serious -- I am very, very careful to ask questions now!

I have been forbidden all protein drinks but V8 is really good and sometimes I use it with stews etc.

Hope this helps -- I look forward to finding all types of helps on this site!

Past Member

I do not have a speck of fiber in my diet, and have not had any for 3.5 years. I eat what is known as the "zero carb" or "carnivore" diet, meaning I only eat from the animal kingdom. I have a permanent ileostomy that was installed about 4.5 years ago. Despite what we have all been told all of our lives, fiber is not necessary in the human diet. Carbs are also not required. Fat and protein are essential for life; carbs are not.

Check it out online. There is a lot of reading and research available. Check out meatheals.com for one, and there are many other sites to visit. Thousands of people are healing their bodies and accomplishing things like reversing T2 diabetes, going off blood pressure meds, greatly reducing or eliminating autoimmune disease symptoms, and more.

Once your system adapts to eating strictly animal protein and fat, you will find that your output is much, much less and your digestion is smooth, quiet and comfortable. And all the nutrients we need are present and bioavailable in animal foods. Here is some good info on why we don't need to eat vegetables and how they may actually be harmful in many people. https://www.diagnosisdiet.com/food/vegetables/

I urge you to open your mind, read about it and give it a try!

cmannine

My husband is the wonderful man that he is, takes care of all my nutrition and pouch changing. I am truly blessed. However, my breakfast usually consists of coffee, one of these (French toast, peanut butter and bread with banana and yogurt, a bagel with butter and side of bacon or ham, waffles, pancakes, and anything carb-heavy to get me started that is from white bread or rye only). Lunch can be like dinner or lighter such as a sandwich with soup (soup not having any of the veggies that have fiber in it), shrimp and pasta, chicken and pasta. More than anything, it is just a limitation on my beloved fruit and certain veggies. You can eat cauliflower and the hospital told me fruit that is cooked or in the pre-packaged fruit cups etc. is fine to eat as some of the fiber is gone in those processes apparently.

Hope this helps a little.

Carey