Stealth Belt -or- ?

Replies
Views
AlistairC

As of December 24th, I've had my permanent colostomy for 1 year and I'm more active every day.

I'm hoping to find someone who has used a "Stealth Belt", or any other activity belt. I'm concerned with the performance as well as the profile. I plan on using it for scuba as well as on an everyday basis. Any advice will be appreciated.

- Alistair

Calico

Hi Alistair,

I have had a permament Ileostomy since December 16, 2011, and I got my Stelth Belt with in about 6 months I think. Honestly it's the best investment I've made. Unfortunately I'm not so active post op, I had A LOT that happened to me during and just after surgery that has made me more sick than I was that originally caused me to have the surgery to begin with. BUT, I do have nearly daily Dr.'s appointments, or atleast I'm traveling to and from the hospital up to 3-4 days a week, and I'm there for 1-2 appointments a day, and having the Stealth Belt really helps me NOT have to worry so much about my bag at all. (Sometimes though it lets me totally forget about it to the point that I forget to check it because it's not hanging down and getting heavy when it's too full which reminds me to empty it!)I even recently boughtmyself a 2nd belt because the 1st one I bought was for the looks. The 2nd one I got in plain white so that I can wear it under certain cloths and not be seen. I've been to the beach with mine (I live in California, in the OC) I've been in swimming pools with it, was a bit scared at first, but it was also right after I had my surgery. I was more worried about my bag hanging in there than anything. I've learned in the last 4 years now that I don't really have to worry about that at all, and the Stealth Belt just makes it that much easier, for literally everything. For me the most important thing is that they are custom made, so they FIT, and perfectly. I happened to gain weight slowly after my surgery, but that's from the Crohns. The Belt was made to fit perfectly at the tightest point. So when I gained weight, I just moved the belt over (velcro, and tripple layered so there's no way for it to "accidentally" come off) So the belt fits me wether I gain weight and when I loose, which is great, I don't have to buy new ones as often as I am having to buy new cloths!

One last thing, and maybe this is more so from a woman's perspective, but I had always had a flat stomach until my surgery, and some of the meds they put me on, and the weight I gained after maybe a combo of all the above, I don't know, but it makes me extremely self consience about how I look now vs how I looked pre op, but the way the SB is made, and the way it fits, it actually holds me in, and I can wear my nicer cloths with out being embarrassed. I have pictures of me where ;you can see my bag under my cloths (or atleast I can, but I'm very aware of it) and I also have pictures where I'm wearing my SB and you can't even tell I have a bag at all. It even helped with me being so aware of having the bag, when I wore the belt, people that saw me on a regular basis and knew I had the surgery, eventually just completely forgot I even had the bag! Keeps it out of sight, out of mind! Totally helps my self confidence as a woman, even though I am not able to go back to work in my profession. I can still dress the part when I have to leave the house.

I hope this helps a little bit, and sorry for going on and on. I honestly can't say enough about SB. I'd get another one if I could, since I have changed bags recently, and it is important to have the correct size belt for the bag style that you wear. I change bags often enough that i need several belts! Oh, and if you haven't looked around their site, or followed them for a bit, they have give away's, and they offer deals on e-bay as well. You can follow them on Facebook, Twitter, e-mail, etc. I got my 2nd belt on e-bay, as they have belts that maybe (I am only assuming here) that were made for someone specific, that probably didn't purchase it for what ever reason, or returned it. So since it's a custom made item, it was made to fit that person, and their bag type, but if you keep a watch on them, they just might end up having one your size, but be ware of the flange size, that makes all the difference too!

Calico

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,365 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

AlistairC

Thanks Cali,

Hate to hear you're still having to see your doctors so much. I know what it's like going to the hospital most every day, luckily I haven't been off that routine for a couple of months. I hope your frequent visits will be over soon. Thanks much for the info on the Stealth Belt. I too am very conscious about how I look and the profile of the appliance. Being fit is very important to me, and looking fit is equally important. I've been an avid diver for several years and don't want this thing to change that, but I also don't want any accidents on a dive or on a boat or whatever. I also don't want to draw any attention to myself by having an exposed pouch. Sounds like the belt is good for all occasions.

Thanks again - Alistair

letsrock

Alistair,

I'm about 6 months out from my surgery, I use the small Hollister belt mostly, but do use the SB from time to time. The Stealth Belt is a good product and very comfortable. There are a few different versions. I use mine mostly for when I'm at the track (I drag race) and it's a good fit. There are a few things I don't care for on the SB.....If I pull it tight it does create a pancake effect, as the fabric is tight over the skin barrier, the only other is, it does take some work to get the bag aligned in the pouch so it doesn't show as much. The common, simple, small belts are about ten bucks and because they attach directly to the ring on the bag, work a little better for me. The pressure allows my barriers to last about 5 days or so without any problem. I can't get the same results from the SB.

J

Kral

Hi Calico,

I hope you are doing well. I read your blog about the SB. I had just ordered a belt, so I am hoping I'll be as happy and satisfied as you were. Did you get yours from: www.ostomybagholder.com? I ordered mine there because it seemed to have the most custom features. If yours is from another supplier, could you please provide me with the info? Thank you, all the best, H

Stories of Living Life to the Fullest from Ostomy Advocates I Hollister