W-Pouch?

Replies
Views
Scott Chance

Hi,

I've had my ileostomy for 7 years, following a sudden attack of severe ulcerative colitis. To be honest, apart from the usual adjustments we all have to put up with, life has been good. I've long since returned to work, am studying for a profession, and have even started to gain weight in the last two years.

I saw a stoma nurse last week for a check-up and she suggested I consider W-pouch surgery to end the need to wear bags. She tells me this is the same concept as a J-pouch but can retain more output.

Now, I will not entertain a J-pouch due to reading numerous horror stories online. Even those who are happy with life report going to the loo 8 times a day, with some of those visits in the middle of the night. In some cases, that's after dosing up on loperamide. By contrast, I only empty my ileostomy bag 4 to 5 times a day, I don't take medication, and it doesn't give me a problem at night.

I'm struggling to find any detail online as to how frequently W-pouchies tend to go to the loo. The perceived wisdom appears to be "less frequently than with a J-Pouch," but I can't find a number.

Has anyone had experience of the W-pouch (or knows somebody who does)?

Many thanks.

Mrs.A

Hi Scott,

I've never heard of a W pouch, I would have thought the stoma nurse could have given you some literature to read up on this type of pouch. Wonder if you could call her and see if she has some websites you could go and do some research about it.

Curious to know what a W pouch is all about.........

Okay, fast forward to some insight and web searching is this bit of info:

W-Pouch

The W-pouch is constructed using four loops of small intestine. It is sometimes used when the patient has another pouch that needs revision. Patients who have the W-pouch do not need intubation, and often have to go to the bathroom less frequently.

One disadvantage of the W-pouch is that it is bulky, which may make it more difficult to use in patients with a narrow pelvis.

I found this information here- https://my.clevelandclinic.org/health/articles/ileal-pouches

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,362 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.