Recovery time for Rectal Removal Surgery (Barbie Butt)?

Replies
Views
Firefox

Hi, I am new to this site. I had a colostomy last March and have made out great. This was done because of chronic UC. They left the rectum with the idea I could have a reversal. I had pretty much made up my mind to not have a reversal because I like having the control I have now of bathroom breaks, etc. Problem a couple of weeks ago, I started having bloody mucus and feeling of urgency, thinking the UC is in the rectum now and going to GI tomorrow. Wanted to get your input about recovery, etc.

xnine

Barbie Butt, they did me all at once. The back took twice as long as the front to heal. What do men have a GI Joe butt or Ken?

They gave thick pads which put pressure on the incision. Try thinner pads, they may relieve some of the pain.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,450 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Ozzwood

Men have a GI Joe butt. :)

Firefox,

I hope you've been to your doctor. Mucus from the anus is really quite normal. I think we've all had that. Except, what isn't normal is discolored mucus. Anything from green to red to orange. It should always be clear and non-odorous.

NotDeadYet

Hi, Firefox!

I don't know what "UC" is.

After cancer, I was left with 10 inches of colon from my rectum (top part of colon went to colostomy).

At first, I would have occasional rectal poos, which were made of mucus. Yay! Long morning poo with a book after coffee. Loved it.

After that, I had mucus poos that were bloody. My (not regular, long story) docs assured me that it was probably due to irritation from surgery, no sign of tumor on my lower colon. Darn thing didn't actually show up on a CT scan until I was pooping out major blood clots, and THEN they saw the tumor, eating into my (oh so little!) 10 inches of rectal colon.

In January I told them there was something wrong, and they really did look for it. But they couldn't SEE it until May.

Hope your diagnosis is better! Keep us posted on your progress!

KKone

Thanks for sharing your stories. I have Crohn's disease and had ileostomy surgery 5 years ago. I have been off medicines other than to help me sleep at times and my life is a 360 for the best!! So happy I had my colon and rectum removed. Yes, a lifestyle changer and I still limit the weight pick up to 10

lbs because I don't want a hernia but so much better!!!! I wish I had done it sooner. I think God prepared me through the struggles to be okay with surgery and it was all on his time. My doctors in Cleveland have been awesome. The only issue I continue to have is my bottom healing. It has been open since my first surgery. It will not heal. So 3 months ago, I had tissue from my stomach placed in the rectum and was closed for a month and now that I am back at work

it has completely opened and it's frustrating but I still would not trade it to go back to what I dealt with before surgery. Other than a high protein with vitamins diet, is there anything else to do to help it close? I am now back off work because of traveling and sitting I'm sure opened it and waiting to see the doctor. All

other incisions heal fine on me but my bottom will not stay closed. Does anyone know of any creams or anything at all that seem to help your bottom close??? Bed rest? Etc? Thank you

How to Manage Ostomy Leaks with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
BillB

I had a perfect bowel 4 years ago colostomy, then a surgery to remove cancer tumor left me with an ileostomy. Now, I have to have the anus removed going through buttocks. I am a 74-year-old man. Can anyone tell me how large of a wound I will have? It will have to heal from inside out. Do I take sit baths? Whatever gory info you are willing to share, thanks in advance.

BillB

I had surgery that left an open wound to heal from the inside out. The doctor prescribed a wound vac. It's great for healing the wound. I had my anus removed a month ago. I can sit, but it's a little uncomfortable. According to the doctors, it will take another 4 to 6 weeks before it's totally healed.