Seeking advice for persistent stoma irritation

In this discussion
Replies
Views
About
This topic discusses advice and solutions for dealing with persistent stoma irritation.
julianatheory151

I have a 4-week old ileostomy and have some burning skin irritation all around my stoma. This started 3 weeks ago and I can't seem to get it to heal. Nothing the WOC Nurse or home health nurses have suggested have helped. I need this to heal because it has been causing issues with leaking, not to mention pain. Any suggestions?

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,086 members. Get inside and you will see.

We're not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed in the forums.

It's a very special community, embracing all ages and backgrounds. People are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

JayneK

I too have very sensitive skin. The only brand that didn't cause burning and weeping sores was Coloplast. I also use liquid Maalox on my skin when it is irritated. Apply it and let it dry before putting your bag on. It soothes the burn caused by the acidity of stool.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate
paulaAZ

Good morning Julianatheory151...

I do not know exactly what type of irritation you are having, but I have had great success with the following:

I use Perfect Choice barrier rings... they cause no reaction from my skin, and I have absolutely no leaks.

Next -- I actually use Lotrimin powder and crust that around my stoma and the skin where the adhesive from the wafer goes. It is the best for any yeast that may grow and cause skin irritation. It cleared up any irritation I had completely.

I have an ileostomy and am coming up on my 2-year "stomaversity". I started using the Perfect Choice Rings not long after I got my ileostomy (maybe 3 months post-surgery) and have had no issues with leaks whatsoever since then. My wear time is quite long, in fact, I make myself change just to let the area breathe.

The Lotrimin along with the crusting with the Cavilon wipes (or spray) has alleviated just about any irritation... occasionally there will be a small amount right around the stoma, but that is usually when I have waited too long to change my appliance and there has been a tiny, tiny bit of leakage around that area.

Hope this helps. Let us know how you are doing!

Paula

Maried

Try using Head and Shoulders shampoo; classic version to clean the area and then apply Butt Paste diaper rash cream. I had red skin around my stoma for almost two years. This cleared it up within a week.

dadnabbit

Julianatheory151, there are many alternatives for treating skin irritation, and usually it is only through trial and error that we find the one that works for us. I have very sensitive skin and had a few issues with continuing skin irritation around the stoma until I started using Anasept by Anacapa Technologies. This is an antimicrobial, antibacterial that comes in both gel and spray form. I use the gel around the stoma when I change the appliance, allowing it to sit for just a moment on the clean skin before wiping it off with a gauze pad and then applying the barrier wipe and then the SenSura Mio one piece. If I have a leak at any time, I use the spray for cleaning and fan it dry before applying the barrier wipe and then the SenSura Mio. This stuff has been terrific for clearing up skin irritation and it kills 99% of bacteria, including MRSA and C. diff. I have found it online at jet.com for $29, which lasts me up to 3 months. Hope this helps.

Peace

How to Manage Emotions with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
Charley

I had similar problems. Nothing my wound care nurse prescribed seemed to help. We always keep an aloe plant in the house for minor cuts, scrapes, etc. We spread the gel from an aloe leaf completely around the stoma, heavily on the worst areas. Let it dry completely before re-pouching. My wounds began to heal and the irritation disappeared by my next visit to wound care. I continued using aloe until the wounds healed completely. I still use a bit of aloe to combat minor irritation. I hope this helps. Best wishes.

bigal1579

Another thing that really helps is allowing the skin to breathe.

Before applying the new pouch, leave it off for a while letting your skin be exposed to the air (even 10-20 minutes helps a lot, the amount of time, of course, will depend on how cooperative your stoma is).

You can stand over the toilet for part of the time or use some toilet paper to catch any output.

vdahl

I have had the same sort of thing and have tried everything under the sun. Truly hope some of the suggestions help you. I try something and it looks like it's going to help... then it's back to the drawing board. My latest try is Colloidal Silver - my husband makes it for me (store in a dark glass bottle in a cool dry cupboard). I use it to rinse the area around the stoma.

Good luck! Vicki

krisrox

I've had my permanent ileostomy for 12 years. I use calamine around my stoma. ....That's it. Shake the bottle vigorously before applying. I used to do crusting in the early years to no avail and use multiple other products, but a veteran ostomate before me turned me to calamine lotion and I've never looked back. I also have uneven skin beside my stoma due to previous fistula scarring, and I don't even use paste, just the calamine on clean skin. Sometimes less is more. Take care.

New Orleans guy

Clean around the stoma, then use a good barrier wipe. Let it dry, then apply a paste or stoma ring before putting on a new bag. All of these replies are good.

Real cool

The only thing that helped me after trying most of the above suggestions was,

I would use both my hands to "pull, stretch" the stoma upwards and then my daughter would apply the ring and bag.

This way stopped any leakage. The skin around the stoma must be taut when applying the goodies.

julianatheory151

Thank you all for the suggestions!! I like the idea of Calamine or aloe (I do have an aloe plant!). My mom thinks I should try Desitin, but the nurses say that is a bad idea because the barrier won't stick. My stoma is always very active and liquid, so it's hard to keep the area open to fresh air for too long. I did try the marshmallow trick when we changed the barrier yesterday and it actually worked! Maybe soon I will just lay in bed with a bag of marshmallows and gauze and let some aloe and Calamine and Desitin treat the irritation for a good 30-60 minutes. All I know is right now it burns constantly, making any activity virtually impossible. I see my surgeon tomorrow and the ostomy nurse on Monday. Wish me luck!

Kramer

I find that stoma powder works wonders with the skin irritation. It will clear up the irritation in no time. I don't use the paste anymore; that was a pain to get off the skin and caused irritation for me. Good luck!

Kramer

Marshmallow trick?? I'm intrigued.

iMacG5

Hi Julia.  Hope you don't mind the abbreviation.  

Since we didn't hear anything from you for a few days I'm hoping that means things are going in the right direction for you.  Lots of great ideas folks shared.  If you still want more advice, please let us know.

Respectfully,

Mike

Homie With A Stomie NS

Good afternoon....I used to have that same issue at first but my nurse suggested a barrier ring tight and flat against the stoma then add pouch since then no more skin issues nor leaks if you haven't tried I suggest you do....

Have a bagless shower cleaner your stoma area real well with soap making sure no adhesive etc is stuck to you....enjoy the water out you get dry area real well apply your skin barrier wipe all around the stoma and flange area, let it dry real well add the barrier ring then pouch...the ring is extra precaution that prevents leakage around stoma...I change every 7 days but if you change more often be gentle when removing your pouches as it can be rough on your skin...

Hope it helps, don't be afraid to try

Tracy