Colostomy Reversal: Recuperation and Post-Op Details

In this discussion
Replies
Views
Newstom

I am now 18 months post colostomy and Dr. said I am a candidate. I have been reading Charlotte's post, it sounds like you went through an ordeal! I am unclear about recuperation and why it takes 6 weeks. Are you bedridden? Wear diapers all the time? One of my biggest fears is the pain. I am a wimp. I don't really want to have an ostomy forever but on a good day I think like what the heck? I also think about when I age that maybe it's an advantage instead of diapers. I've gained 10 lbs. and have no desire to exercise with this thing. Can someone tell me more of the post-op details? Thanks and good luck to all of you

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,101 members. Get inside and you will see.

We're not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed in the forums.

It's a very special community, embracing all ages and backgrounds. People are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Bill

Hello Newstom. I think you will find that almost all major surgery takes at least six weeks of convalescence, depending very much on a person's metabloism. It's just a ballpark, minimum figure to offer some guidance as to how long it might take for things to geal sufficiently for people not panic that they might not be getting 'better'. I like your thinking with regard to getting old and not needing to wear diapers with the stoma. I thought precisely the same thing but unfortunately, I still have colon attached to the anal stump and it produces excessive amounts of mucus, which needs incontinence pads to catch it. I still think that the stoma was the best way to go but in my case, it did not prevent the need for diapers. 

Best wishes

Bill

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate
Jenerprise

I had my colostomy takedown on Dec 20th, 2017. It has been fantastic for the most part. I was out of the hospital in a day. Getting back to normal is kind of like a new normal. You become hyper-aware of regularity, etc. I haven't had any issues that would require diapers. I love my surgeon and wouldn't let anyone else touch me from this point forward. Make sure you follow their recommendations and know you trust your surgeon.

grammoo57

I am so happy to see a positive response regarding the reversal! I had emergency surgery on Nov 19 due to a blockage that burst. Five hours later, I woke up to a colostomy. I cried for days. My surgeon just sent a letter saying he will no longer be there. I have an appointment with a surgeon at the same place on the 28th of this month to discuss the reversal. My previous surgeon said it would take 5-6 months. I'm very nervous and have read so many scary things regarding the reversal. I have had a very hard time, going from watery stool one day to very hard stools the next. I can't find any information on that. Thanks for any input.

grammoo57

Did you have robotic or laparoscopic surgery? Wow, out in a day! That would be awesome. I unfortunately have to have another surgeon as the one who did my colostomy has left. I looked him up online. Says he likes to do robotic so people heal faster. That's what I'm hoping for.

How to Manage Ostomy Leaks with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
Jenerprise

The DaVinci robot and an ignorant surgeon at Mayo were the reasons I had to have a colostomy bag in the first place. If you go to unplugtherobot.blogspot.com you can read our stories. Also on Facebook if you search for Unplug the Robot there are a lot of good scientific articles posted on its dangers and questions you should ask.

Again, I went to United Hospital in St. Paul after Mayo Clinic. It was the best decision I made and they are the reason I am alive today.

grammoo57

Jenterprise, I feel horrible for you. How scary. I did read that article. Thank you for sharing. I will definitely be asking lots of questions at my apt on the 28th, if he suggests the robotic I think I will look for another surgeon. I live in Wisconsin and had my emergency surgery at Regions Hospital in St. Paul. The surgeon I had was working from Health Partners and I received a letter stating he's no longer there and made an apt with the surgeon they have there. What are questions I should be asking regarding takedown? I assume you had laparoscopic and you're on the mend. Thanks again for your input!