Digestive Issues After Ostomy Reversal

Replies
Views
Believe890

Hi, I had an emergency colostomy one week after I had a surgery that caused a rectovaginal fistula. I had the colostomy for 6 months and then had a reversal. I had a Medtronic sacral nerve stimulation implant due to bowel incontinence. This was a year ago. I have now been diagnosed with Bile Gastritis and Barrett's Esophagus, causing severe digestive issues. Has anyone else had digestive issues after an ostomy reversal???

Bill

Helo Believe890. Most of us are not medical people on this site, so what you get is just opinion based on experiences.  I too had reflux leading to Barretts Oesophagus  and sacral nerve stimulation for incontinence. My reflux was due to a hiatus hernia and I managed to control the reflux with a combination of Domperidone, Lansoprazole and raising my bed so that I sleep in a similar position as I might be, if I was in a hammock. The other two conditons never really got sorted.

My thoughts on these matters, for what they're worth, are that the tube from mouth to anus is, essentially, in one continuous length and if it's not working properly, then the problems are likely to be of a similar source or nature wherever they appear in the tube.  I did not put any of my other problems down to having a stoma. However, after one operation, My urination was severely affected and I shared this with the surgeon - who denied that the surgery had anything to do with it. After the next operation, miraculously, the urinary problems were no longer an issue. Methinks! It is as well to be very sceptical about things doctors tell us when they are denying responsibility.

Best wishes

Bill 

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,369 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

dadnabbit

True, that!!!!