Grateful for the Support

In this discussion
Replies
Views
About
This topic shares experiences and advice on finding support and gratitude while living with an ostomy.
Irjosh

I just wanted to tell all the users of this site that I really love having the opportunity to express my feelings here. I'm positive that many feel the same. I wish that all here come out of the experience you have here will be like mine. Support and understanding from others with issues similar like each other will help us all and give the relief we all crave, well, I'm selfish. I'm here because I need support. And I find enough here to help in the tough times. Thank you. I really mean it.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,090 members. Get inside and you will see.

We're not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed in the forums.

It's a very special community, embracing all ages and backgrounds. People are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

HungryHamster

Hi Irjosh,

I absolutely understand what you mean. This site was amazing for me when I had my emergency colectomy, as everyone here was very supportive and welcoming. It ended up being a great place to have a rant or voice my concerns while I had my ileostomy, though I've got a J-pouch now. I would like to echo your message in saying thank you to everyone on this site for being truly great people.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate
Mrs.A

I agree, this site is like no other. Someone is always here to pick you up, brush you off, and help you to your feet. Honest advice based on experience.

crossley8

I have been so appreciative of this site. I had an emergency colostomy in early December and I am still reeling from the shock. There is so much to get used to and to manage! I get very anxious about things, like my bag showing through my clothing, or having an "accident." I did have a terrible accident in the doctor's office early on - the aide at my care facility had put my bag on wrong and I had the accident on my doctor's exam table. Since then, the only difficulty has happened at home - I had a leak in my bag and didn't know it. I set out everything to change my bag - regular changing day - got in shower first. When I was in the shower, water got into my bag and I had a big mess on my hands. I was able to get it all cleaned and bleached, but even though it was in the privacy of my home, I became super anxious about everything. I had a lunch date with a friend and almost cancelled it, I was so anxious, but I went and everything was ok. I was relieved to get back home, though, where it's safe. Do others have anxiety about their ostomies? I'd really like to hear if you do; it would make me feel less alone. My colostomy is supposed to be reversed at some point, but that brings up a host of other anxieties. I try to stay in today and live one day at a time, but it's hard. Any helpful comments are appreciated.

countyclare

Greetings,

I have an ileostomy, so I am not familiar with a colostomy. I can't really offer any concrete advice or suggestions.

An ileostomy functions 24 x 7, 365 days a year. The amount and time of food and liquid intake directly determine when the ileostomy is active and the volume of output. For example, one should not eat or drink for eight or so hours prior to changing an ileostomy appliance.

I am under the impression that many persons with a colostomy can be taught how to irrigate his or her colostomy.

A skilled colo-rectal surgeon, a well-trained registered nurse, or a certified enterostomal therapist should be able to teach you how and when to irrigate your colostomy. The ability to successfully irrigate could result in giving you much more self-confidence and comfort in the day-to-day management of your colostomy.

Hope this information is helpful.

Good luck and best wishes.

Stories of Living Life to the Fullest from Ostomy Advocates I Hollister
freedancer

This site has been a lifesaver for me. I have found great support and advice here that has been so helpful. Just having a shoulder to cry on when I was feeling so depressed in the very beginning was very calming.