Stoma Placement: Above or Below Belt Line?

Replies
Views
Penguins7

I wanted to see where the majority of stomas are located (not which side but how high or low from belt line). Mine is right square on my belt line and I often wonder if it wouldn't be better located below the belt line for better flow into pouch. Thanks for your input. Penguins7

NJ Bain

My ET nurse marked the area where mine would be right before the surgery. She sat me down to mark it and scraped an X with a needle so that when I sat in the future, the location wouldn't impair flow. My stoma sits about an inch and a half above my belt line.

Bain

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,374 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Penguins7

My nurse did the same thing, but the logic would be to place the stoma just below the belt line for better flow. I have trouble when I wear a belt.

xnine

Just below my belly button and above my belt line. The ET nurse marked me with a black sharpie on both sides just in case. She was looking for a spot with no folds to help prevent any leaks. I use suspenders for my pants, found some nice rainbow ones that have a good grip.

NJ Bain

I do fine with a belt. But it does balloon a lot when gas starts to come out....lol

Getting Support in the Ostomy Community with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
LadyHope

Hi everyone, my stoma is mostly located below my beltline depending upon the style slacks that I wear. Sometimes it does sit higher and I balloon like NJ Bain said. Nice, right??? ;LOL. A stoma nurse sited my spot as well. Take care. LadyHope

freedancer

They put mine across from my belly button which has proved to be tricky as my stomach has a little fold there and I have to spread it out a bit to get the skin barrier to fit right. Since I have staples still in from the recent revision surgery, I have had to cut the barrier in order to not get it stuck on the staples. After they are removed, it should be less of a problem.

Mrs.A

Mine is about an inch or so below my belly button. The output flow is good depending on how the pants fit and sometimes on if I'm sitting. My ostomy wasn't planned, my surgeon did a good job.

Past Member

Mine is at the pant line. My kidney is right under the stoma upside down. So flow is a problem, I have UTIs.

Graywolf1

Hi to you all

I had the same problem with it being on my belt line.

I purchased a StomaDome, it helps some. Mostly while driving because of the seatbelt. I now use suspenders.

Here is the website. www.stomadome.com

This is the only one on the market I could find. Cheaper if you buy 2 not 1.

Hope this helps some of you.

Ed

Dandy Dan

Mine is above my belly button about an inch!! I think they messed it up being that far up!!

fishnet 123

Mine was done laparoscopically. From what I've read, there is a place where they can put it so there is room to get all the instruments in for the surgery. I had at least 3 extra holes. Mine is above my belly button. I'm guessing, but it was cut a short distance down the descending colon. Since it is above my beltline, there is a bulge in my shirt. For odor, when I go out, my bags come with small plastic covers that go over the vent and the gas is kept in. I go somewhere private and vent it if it gets too big. I'm not shy about my bag, and I'll tell anyone that wants to know. I have other issues, and my dignity is hanging on the stop sign at the end of the street, so wearing a bag for me isn't a problem. I'm in a wheelchair.

I agree that they should put them below the beltline. These are questions that we should have asked, but we don't know until after it's done.

A_Stoma_By_Any_Other_Name

Because I need a wheelchair, my ileostomy stoma is a good inch or two above my belly button. Supposedly, this is to make emptying easier, and it probably does. I still have to massage the area sometimes when air gets stuck lol

Desertmum

Mine is right next to my belly button. My pants waistline cuts right through the middle of the bag. I feel it should be lower.

Frog Pond

Mine is about an inch below my belly button. I've chosen to wear suspenders and pants 2 inches bigger. However, when sitting, the beltline cuts across the middle of the bag and restricts output. This caused my last two failures as the output had nowhere to go but up. I am still learning as mine was an emergency ileostomy exactly 6 weeks ago.

Past Member

The stoma doctor decides where the best placement should be according to your anatomy inside after the initial colon/small intestine surgery has been done. So, placement is different for everyone.

bluerose157

The stoma is a bit more than an inch below the belly button. Like others, I have had a problem with the belt line across the pouch, which affects the flow.

At first, around the house, I wore gym/jogging type pants with an elastic waist. Then I thought if I could put elastic in belt-type pants. A local seamstress did a pair for me. She put elastic across the back of the pants from side to side, leaving belt loops in case. She made them snug enough to wear without a belt but not too snug that it interfered with the flow in the pouch. I ended up having this done with a couple pairs of pants and shorts.

Mine is an end ileostomy, 5 years ago as an emergency.