Meet & talk to fellow OstoMates Support | Friendship | Relationships 21,246 members

Rectum removal surgery

Talk to people who understand you Sign up today - for many, our community has been a life-changing experience.
Tue Apr 24, 2018 5:22 pm

Well hello 👋 everyone 

needs your prayers just saw my surgeon today and they decided to remove my rectum.... has anyone had this done? How long was hospital stay and recovery?

Tue Apr 24, 2018 9:21 pm

Hello drfields,  I had my rectum removed when i had my colon removed.  I had terrible abcesses so it was a blessing.  No sure what your situation was with previous surgery.  My total recovery after surgery was about 5 weeks.  Good luck and stay well!  Penguins7

Tue Apr 24, 2018 9:27 pm

Hello penguins 7..

had hysterectomy in 2015 .. damage nerves in rectum. I have a colostomy so the mucus that drains I have no control over so dr is going to sew it up.

Wed Apr 25, 2018 1:23 am

I too have excessive anal mucus and no control alongside spasmodic bouts of pain so I will be very interested in people's comments on the results of their rectum removal. Let us know how you get on!

Best wishes

Bill

Wed Apr 25, 2018 8:51 am

Hi Bill I’ll keep you all posted 🙂

Thu Apr 26, 2018 7:35 am

I'm looking at having the same done this fall, hopfully.  I get alot of mucus drainage, but for the most part can control it.  My surgeon says if I'm not going to re-connect it, I should have it taken out.  I'll be glad to have mine removed, just one less thing to worry about down the road.  Keep us posted, I've been trying to connect with whoever I can about recovery from this surgery, just so I have an idea of what to expect when my time comes.

Good luck and take care.

Sasquatch

Thu Apr 26, 2018 9:52 am

I sure will🙂

Fri Apr 27, 2018 6:05 pm

Hello. 

I had similar damage with my hysterectomy. I will keep you in my prayers. I had a robotic (da Vinci) hysterectomy that didn't go well. There is a Facebook page called "unplug the robot" where a bunch of us had similar experiences. Feel free to take a look and message if you feel like it and pertains to your experience. 

EAM
Sun Apr 29, 2018 9:51 am

Hi, I had this done last december. My total hospital stay wa 8 days. I have heard of people having shorter stays though.

Mine was long because post surgery my Digetive tract decided to take awhile to function again.

Good Luck with the surery and recovery : )

Sun Apr 29, 2018 10:09 am

Mine was the same. Total recovery was about 6 weeks for me. At about 4 weeks I was able to do for myself. 

The VERY, VERY Important part is Post Surgery and paying attention to the area. The better hygiene you have, the quicker the recovery. Listen to your Nurses as they will tell you straight how it is looking. Mine even yelled at me once. 😉

Sun Apr 29, 2018 10:25 am

hello how are you? can we chat on hangout my id

Sun Apr 29, 2018 10:38 am

Hello 👋 yes we can

Sun Apr 29, 2018 10:39 am

Hello thanks 🙏 soo much for the info I will take heed.

Sun Apr 29, 2018 10:50 am

Hiya

Hope you are well...

I had a permanent  colostomy just over 12 years ago at the age of 40..

Quite a shock but always remained positive to this day..

My recovery was 6 days in hospital, they ad8vised me to be off work 12 weeks..I returned after9 weeks on light duties..

Check out irritation with your surgeon. It changes your life and enables you to do anything and everything with no worry.

If you fancy asking anymore question..ask away 

Martin

Sun Apr 29, 2018 11:09 am

Yes I've had the surgery done on March 19th 2018 and I'm still recovering the stay was two weeks and then I went home I got a small infection not to alarm you on my buttocks they put a draining gave me antibiotics and sent me home so maybe going home from your visit to send you home on antibiotics if need be but keep reaching out to me I know that this is a process trust me I'm so glad that you reached out it doesn't just help you it helps me

Sun Apr 29, 2018 11:13 am
Had my rectum and anus removed . 14 days in hospital . The recovery was that much of a problem apart from two small drain holes that refused to heal until after 4 months the medico's admitted that there was an infection then Lo and behold heal in a week . Go for irrigation as soon as possible it removes 90% of the problems from colostomy bags .
Sun Apr 29, 2018 11:16 am

i had the abcess thing that required medicine and a drain being placed since then no problem im still recoverying. im just able to sit for 20mins at a time right now....i understand

Sun Apr 29, 2018 11:19 am

Drfields24, had a colon and rectum removal 2009. 5-6 days in hospital, and 2-3 weeks at home walking alot. Start slowly and when you can, increase distance and time. The walking is whole body wellness regimen. It worked for me. Just NO moving objects with your feet,not even a door stop.

Be well,

Scooter Trash

Sun Apr 29, 2018 11:36 am

I'm almost 4 weeks post surgery and my biggest issue is hemroids. It was quite sore the first week but managable with pain meds.  

Sun Apr 29, 2018 11:40 am

Haven't heard of irrigation but I'm interested could you tell me more about it

Sun Apr 29, 2018 12:00 pm

Shocking though this may sound it isn’t an unusual procedure for rectal cancer. It requires a colostomy. I can recommend the Cleveland Clinic and their much less invasive robotic surgery if that can be arranged. I can recommend the surgeon but am not sure what the rules on this site are. I was in hospital for about 5 days. My abdomen was never that sore but my butt was sore for at least a year. Write me back if you’d like to know more.

Richard

Sun Apr 29, 2018 12:23 pm

thank you.

Sun Apr 29, 2018 12:49 pm
Irrigation involves introducing , through a cone , normal warm tap water into the bowel through the Stoma . This can be done from a bag hanging at shoulder height or a special pump . Approx 1 or 1 1/2 litres is used, the water temp is approx 37 deg Celsius . The bowel responds by evacuating through a sleeve into the toilet . This all takes approx 30mins . It keeps things clear for 24 hrs for some people 48hrs . No sudden bag changes or leaks or odour problems and confidence to live normaly .
Sun Apr 29, 2018 1:09 pm

I just had that done in March . I had a colostomy and rectum done at the same time . I am still on the mend . I did too much after the surgery and split the stitches and go for wound care everyday for at least another month . I keep thinking I’m thirty so used to bouncing back fast . Do what the dr. Tells you take it easy after surgery  I made the mistake of doing too much .

Sun Apr 29, 2018 1:26 pm

I had a total proctocolectomy in November 2015 so my anus/rectum were removed at the same time as my colon.  My best advice to you is get an Ehob waffle cushion.  Do not get a donut cushion!  I ordered my waffle cushion from Ehob directly and it came inflated, but you can get them on Amazon and at Walmart -- just Google and see where they are available near you.  They come in different sizes and believe me, they do help. 

I keep the area dry, that was the main thing.  I also purchased a sitz bath that fit on the toilet so I could soak in warm water and dry very, very well after that.  But I am sure your doctor and his staff will give you all that info. 

Good luck!  Oh, I was in the hospital for 3 days .. went in on a Tuesday morning at 5:30, surgery at 7:30 (about a 6-hour surgery) and home on Friday morning ... but then I was fortunate that I had no complications whatsoever.

paula

Sun Apr 29, 2018 2:46 pm

sasquatch,

What is your hurry in taking out the rectum? You haven't said why you have an ileostomy...UC?  I had an emergency ileostomy done in 2012. Instead of having my rectal stump removed I decided to get proactive and research into what I could do to reduce my inflammation. It is now 2018. Last Nov. I had my stump scoped and there is now NO sign of UC anymore!!! The surgeon just wants to leave me alone. (My first surgeon wanted to take it out) But I now have options which is empowering:)) The rectal stump removal does NOT guarentee the erradication of UC. That is a falsehood. It can pop up elsewhere and as autoimmune issues. It is better to work at reducing inflammation. I use my rectal stump as a gauge as to whether I have active UC or not. Just food for thought. Rectum removal is a tough surgery to heal from. One person I know personally took a year to heal. It is a very personal decision. All I say is make  your well thought out and researched decision your own , not just what a surgeon says.

Sun Apr 29, 2018 3:02 pm

thank you i had the same surgery March 2018 and im still recovering do well

Sun Apr 29, 2018 4:14 pm

Hi, I had mine done at the same time as my colostomy surgery had rectal cancer. When I asked why it was necessary it was mentioned to prevent probes with intestines trying to get out.ha not good. Recovery was about 5 weeks till stitches were removed. Worst part was the intense itching as the were drying out.a gel pillow from Costco made sitting not too bad,I still use it for long flights and car trips. Over all it wasn't too bad. Haven't looked back. Good luck and take care.

Sun Apr 29, 2018 4:40 pm

Wow another surgery,  kind of sucks,  i will pray for you. I had this done about 38 years back so don't remember much about it. Except that it was not a bad as i expected or a ii was told it would be.   I'm sure it's completely different now.   For me they split me stem to stern, in thinking now they do minimally invasive.   I think i sat on a donut for a few days or so but it healed up quickly enough and has not been a problem for the last 4 decades.  Stay strong.   For me i don't remember being given the choice they were going in and they were taking all they could.  Honestly i didn't know what to expect because i figured there would still be a hole without any control.  The way they described it too me they needed to leave at least a small opening for "drainage ' (sure whatever). Any how i .

not had Amy issues with the back side,  but that damn stoma itch. 

Sun Apr 29, 2018 4:52 pm

Hi you probably are still trying to comphrend what is happening, i didnt believe it untl days before the opp, i had arguments with my doc but there was no option. I had evereything from my lower bowel removed and replumbed with a stoma for life but it was better than the alternative.  i was in hospital 10 days . The stoma was ok it took a week for my stomach to work but the removal of the bits below was not good im sorry. Get an inflatable cushion before you go home and lots of soft pillows as you will try  sleep in different areas of your house.it was 4 months before i could sit without a bag.. i have other man problems because of the surgery which is getting me down but at least i alive and thats the most important lesson

* Please, do not post contact information like email, Facebook or Twitter accounts, or phone number. These will be removed by the Administrator.