Dealing with Hernia Around Stoma: Normal Discomfort?

Replies
Views
Skip15

Got another hernia!! Already had 2 fixed but this time it's not an emergency. Was wondering how much discomfort is normal??

Bill

Hello Skip. I do not see anything ‘normal’ about hernias or the discomfort that goes with them. The hernias I have relating to the stoma and surrounding area are relatively insignificant compared with my hiatus hernia so I just accept them and get on with my life as ’normal’ (as possible).
(Note: I’ve lost this post twice already- so this is a cut& paste job from WORD.)
Best wishes
Bill

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,370 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Jenerprise

Good morning, Skip,

I had a peristomal hernia fixed when I had my colostomy takedown. My hernia didn't hurt at all, but it made the bag fit not great. The doctor used an absorbable tissue reinforcement called Bio A. It has worked so far and I have had little discomfort.

Please be hyper aware of all the medical device safety issues and those advocating for mesh patients when you discuss hernia repair with your surgeon.

I help out on a FB page called "Medical Device Problems." There is a group represented by the mesh patients as well. A lot of good information is posted. Also, if you get a chance, please watch the Netflix documentary "The Bleeding Edge" as it also discusses mesh and other medical device safety issues.

Best of luck,

Jen

ShyIntrovert

I have a pretty big parastomal hernia myself. Dr. said they wouldn't mess with it unless I had pain or blockage. Hope everything goes well for you.

Skidude

Went through 4 parastomal hernia repairs in 8 years due to size and discomfort. My last repair was November '17 in Philly by a colorectal and a plastic surgeon using a modified Sugarbaker procedure. 9 months out...everything's tight...Sugarbaker works.

Getting Support in the Ostomy Community with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
Skip15

Thanks everybody. Really tired of hospitals, but now I feel nauseous when I eat.