Need Help with Flat Stoma Adhesion

Replies
Views
Bearably50
Sep 21, 2018 12:31 pm

Hello, I am having problems with leakage. I tried the convex wafers and they seemed to help some, but I am out of them now. The wafers I have now are small and flat. My stoma is flat and it is difficult to get the wafer to adhere. I have a lot of skin irritation and am having difficulty with the skin prep. I am in Florida at the moment for my mom's funeral and do not have access to a stoma nurse or supplies. I am changing the wafer daily due to leakage, which is causing more skin irritation. Any advice would be great.

Thanks, Glenda

mild_mannered_super_hero
Sep 21, 2018 12:45 pm

Nothing will stick well to red weepy skin. There is a steroid cream you can get, but I can't recall the name of it. Sorry. You might go to a druggist and ask him if he's familiar with it. Lacking that, wash the skin well and put a little Mylanta on your affected skin. Follow with a regular wipe or spray on skin prep, then your flange/ring. Can you buy some convex wafers locally? I could mail you some, but it would take 3 days minimum to get to Florida from Kentucky. Perhaps a member on here is close enough to loan you a few convex? Good luck.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 35,000 members who truly understand you.

It's not all about ostomy. We talk about everything.

Many come here for advice or to give advice, others have found good friends, and some have even found love. Most importantly, people here are honest and genuinely care.

🛑 Privacy is very important - we have many features that are only visible to members, ensuring a safe and secure environment for you to share and connect.

Create an account and you will be amazed by the warmth of this community.

Past Member
Sep 21, 2018 3:39 pm

They sell a skin barrier pad, it's like a 4x4 that you put over your skin to protect, and then you attach the barrier to it. All companies have them, I think.

vdahl
Sep 21, 2018 6:18 pm

Gosh, Bearably, I wish I was close enough to bring you some supplies. I have several boxes of deep convex flanges for two-piece systems. If you'd like, I could mail them! The skin barrier pads work well too. I had my stoma revised and it's so nice to finally have the skin healed up - I was changing every other day in order to keep the skin from getting totally out of control, so believe me, I feel your pain!

Let me know if you'd like these supplies... there's nothing worse than being out of the things you really need.

Take care, Vicki

Bearably50
Sep 21, 2018 6:52 pm

Thank you Vdahl, I get supplies from the VA and will have them when I get back home. I just ran out while here in Florida. I didn't have enough to bring with me when I left California. Thanks for the offer, much appreciated.

Words of Encouragement from Ostomy Advocates I Hollister
Play
AZishome
Oct 01, 2018 3:03 pm

I have had an ileostomy for 30+ years and life is 98% normal. Mentally, it was tough to accept the surgery but life after has been so much better. Don't fear. Ditch the Depends and start having fun again.