Retracted Stoma

Replies
Views
Schatzi

Hello everyone,

'I have a question regarding surgery to repair a retracted stoma. I currently have a loop illeostomy which was placed in April 2018. I've just returned from my surgeron's office and am scheduled to have the stoma repaired at the end of Janaury. The surgeon said I would spend one night in the hospital and could return to work whenever I wanted too. Of course he left and the nurse came in and said it would be at least 2 nights in the hospital and I should plan on being off of work for approximately one to two weeks. Rather different messages. I was wondering if anyone on this sight might be faimilar with this surgery and able to share any additional information that might be helpful.

Thank you so very much.

iMacG5

OK Schatzi, here's the deal.  I don't pretend to know anything about the surgical process involved in correcting your situation but I do have a couple thoughts or questions.  Why did the stoma retract?  What will be done differently to avoid a recurrance?  Same surgeon?  Why is there a significant difference of opinion between the doctor and the nurse?

I'm sorry if I caused you more concern but you deserve some answers before you get cut again.  Maybe a second opinion?  

Respectfully wishing you the very best,

Mike

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,370 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Hermit
Just had my prolapsed stoma reduced! In hospital 2 days!