Bowel movement issues after cold/virus and irrigation?

Replies
Views
Hawkeye

I irrigate every two days usually without any problems and remain dry and clean until my next irrigation. Last weekend, I think I picked up some kind of bug/virus which I thought was a straightforward cold.

I have irrigated 4 times in the last week or so but keep experiencing ongoing bowel movement after the irrigation session. Does anyone have any similar experience of bowel movement being affected by a cold/bug/virus?

mild_mannered_super_hero

Yes, I have had a similar experience when I had a stomach flu. If you are taking any medication for the flu, it can also cause abnormal output. It should settle down as your cold improves.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,368 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Shitt Happens

Good evening, you are lucky to be able to irrigate every 2 days without anything coming out.  Do you eat  3 meals a day? Do you have any ideas to give me so that I can also irrigate  every 2 days please? .... Thank you for helping me. From Quebec, Canada)

Hawkeye

Kijihoihiini

Hawkeye

Thanks for getting in touch. Yes, I feel very lucky.

You should check with your doctor or a nurse in your care team. I think it does depend on the kind of operation(s) you had and therefore what kind of stoma you have.

I then lived in England and had cancer in the lower bowel and after chemo and radiotherapy I was successfully operated on. After a few months, they told me I could try irrigation so I ordered the supplies and bought an irrigation pump from Braun (about $300).

Since 2005, I have been successfully irrigating and actually use stoma plugs (yes, no bag!). Unfortunately, I could not source the stoma plugs in the USA or Canada so I have them shipped once a year from the UK where my family order them before shipping to me. The plugs are great because in conjunction with the irrigation, it (usually) means no movement at all for two days and I pretty much operate as I used to.

Hope this helps.

How to Manage Ostomy Leaks with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
Hawkeye

Thanks a lot. It's better already.

Hawkeye

I forgot to answer your question about diet!

Yes, I eat three meals a day and I eat what I want with no restrictions other than my own taste preferences.

Good luck

Hawkeye

I forgot to answer your question about diet!

Yes, I eat three meals a day and I eat what I want with no restrictions other than my own taste preferences.

Good luck