Experiences with Colostomy Reversal & Ileostomy: What to Expect?

In this discussion
Replies
Views
izipizi

I'm getting a colostomy reversal and incisional hernia repair and diverting ileostomy. Anyone been through that, what's it like? What am I in for?

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,099 members. Get inside and you will see.

We're not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed in the forums.

It's a very special community, embracing all ages and backgrounds. People are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Puppyluv56

I have not, but wish you the best of luck! There are many success stories on this site!

Pup

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate
izipizi

Thank you for your kind words. I'm scared of the process and fear complications.

izipizi

Tomorrow's my big day. Very anxious today, beginning the prep. I have to be at the hospital 1 hour away at 6am.

iMacG5

Hey Iz.  I'll be thinking about you.  I didn't get the reversal but lots of other stuff.  Your anxiety is so familiar to me and guess what.  The procedures were done, it's all over, I'm all healed and the sun is shining.  It's all good for me as it will be for you.  We'll be waiting for you to share your good news.

Respectfully,

Mike

Living with Your Ostomy | Hollister
Puppyluv56

Iz,

I am sure all has gone well. Let us hear from you as soon as you feel up to it! Wishing you a speedy recovery!

Puppy

izipizi

I'm in my 4th week post-op. Saw the surgeon yesterday. I have had ups and downs with nausea, poor appetite, draining ileostomy at least 8-9 times a day. A few leaks and bad timing on changes.

Difficulty gaining weight back. I'm underweight. Periods of exhaustion intermittently. Still in pain from colostomy reversal site which had a small hernia I just found out yesterday was also repaired, in addition to reversal colostomy, ileostomy, appendectomy, repair of incisional hernia, and para colostomy hernia. Spent 8 nights in the hospital.

I am walking almost every day for about 20-30 minutes. Using a heating pad regularly on the abdomen.

I knew this would be rough... but I thought by now I might be in less pain.

The surgeon said everything looks good... Scheduled for ileostomy reversal in about 2 months.

He said I will need an enema study and sigmoidoscopy first pre-op... ouch.

Anxiety prevails on this long journey.

Hope everyone is doing well. Thanks.

Puppyluv56

You sound as if you are doing great! That was a lot to go through and you are up and walking every day! Good for you!

You will improve by leaps and bounds now! You have the hard part behind you! The ileostomy may be more difficult to handle but you only have a short time to deal with it! Good luck with your studies and future surgery!

Puppyluv

izipizi

Thanks, Puppy Love.

ron in mich

Hi izipizi, I had a resection and moved the stoma from right to left last year of my ileo. And I found that the nausea could be stopped by drinking a small can of V8 juice. I think it helped with dehydration as my new stoma was working too well. As for changing, I do it in the morning after a shower and not eating anything the night before.

izipizi

Good tip, thanks.

izipizi

Now having a lot of thin watery rectal discharge. Feels like I have to have a BM, butt is getting sore. Ileostomy maintenance is exhausting. Had a problem with leaks, was cutting hole too small in flange. Took a week to figure it out. Wasted a lot of supplies. Finally, my ostomy nurse figured it out.

Up 3 times a night minimum, I'm exhausted. Off all pain meds except PRN Advil. Have crampy discomfort in mornings and soreness where colostomy was reversed and hernia repaired.

Still walking 2 miles most days.

Rough road.

Kudos to those who have been doing it long term... it ain't easy, at least for me.