Stoma scar bleeding after stressful move - seeking advice

Replies
Views
chark6023

This past year, my mother passed away at the age of 95. I cared for her for the last 16 years. I lived with her in her home she bought in 1968, so there was a lot to move and liquidate to vacate the house in order to sell it. I had 3 weekend garage sales, many trips to charities, disbursements for family, yard cleanup, and on and on. I had help, but it was my responsibility to get it done and to get out by the date the house was put on the market.

It was a lot of work, and I also had to make arrangements for what I wanted to keep and where to store it, not knowing where I was going to live, so I didn't know what I needed or not, and I still don't. I'm currently renting a room while I wait for the house to sell before I have the money for a place of my own.

Through all this stress and physical activity, my stoma scar from having my ostomy reversed is now bleeding. It's bleeding enough that my undergarments are stained every day, even though I'm not as active as I was during the move.

I have a hernia on the opposite side that I have surgery planned for. Also, when I got my reversal, it took a while for my stoma to heal as I contracted MRSA on the site that took 2 treatment rounds before it closed completely, about 2 months.

I want to know if anyone has any insight on how this happened after all this time and how to treat it. I realize it was the stress and the strain of lifting too much and overdoing it, but that couldn't be helped. I didn't know it was so delicate.

Past Member

I'm sorry this happened. Sounds like you need to get it checked out by a nurse or doctor.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,591 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

chark6023

Yeah, I've been referred to the surgeon. Just like to go prepared if you know what I mean.

Past Member
Reply to chark6023

Yes, I do. Good luck with everything.

Newbie Dana

I don't have any additional insight into what happened - I'm sure you're correct that the physical stress of moving has caused the surgery scar to split slightly and leak blood. Have you considered using a panty liner to absorb the blood as it leaks and keep your underwear cleaner? It would also help pad the scar area to keep anything from rubbing it and further irritating it. I know it wouldn't be in a traditional placement, but it shouldn't be too uncomfortable.

Getting Support in the Ostomy Community with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
chark6023

That's a good idea. Thank you.