Any Medics or Surgeon Ostomate Members on this Site?

Replies
Views
Jayne
Oct 07, 2023 1:31 pm

I wondered whether we have any ostomate members who are also surgeons or medics on this site?

I sometimes figure that for those medics and surgeons who have wound up with their own ostomies, owing to professional expertise/knowledge, they are not necessarily drawn to such forums or places of interchange such as an Ostomate's Resource.

It would be lovely to know otherwise - there may be wisdom in not publishing the professional element of such a profile as one may become a 'first go-to' and life would be rather overwhelming.

However, the in-depth knowledge and the very real challenge of becoming a patient in such a context must be a unique challenge.

A number of members do work within the medical profession and support environments - and such caring individuals are often known to have their own personal related experiences - both during their working life and subsequently.

I have been thinking that there is a particular 'balance' which may bring a unique open perspective - for if, as a professional clinician, one has devoted one's service to patients and colleagues - there may be a different innate understanding that may be shared through such individuals.

Mentors come in unusual circumstances - when we least expect a special and unique sharing.

Best wishes for a lovely day.

It is a fine sunny weekend in Pembrokeshire - around the west coast of the UK.

Jayne

CrappyColon
Oct 07, 2023 2:06 pm

There are some nurses and ostomy-specific nurses. There are some doctors/surgeons as well, but I'll let them identify themselves if they want to. 😁

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 35,000 members who truly understand you.

It's not all about ostomy. We talk about everything.

Many come here for advice or to give advice, others have found good friends, and some have even found love. Most importantly, people here are honest and genuinely care.

🛑 Privacy is very important - we have many features that are only visible to members, ensuring a safe and secure environment for you to share and connect.

Create an account and you will be amazed by the warmth of this community.

Jayne
Oct 07, 2023 3:58 pm

Hello CrappyColonDiaries

Thanks for your comment.

When I joined MAO back in 2015, there used to be a search facility at the top right of the screen. This was a useful tool and acted as a general word search - useful for topic and subject-led discussion, but it has not been there for a while now.

I noticed the 'cog' tool icon and within it, I saw 'saved searches' - but when I went to my 'saved searches', there was but one line of text, i.e., month, day [number], and year [number], and time - and an active delete option by it. The URL for which displayed at the bottom left of the screen [as all pages appear to be] and showed it to be a profile search for members within the UK. But when I tried to use it - within the saved search place - it did not work.

How does one do a specific word subject search now to help one not repeat or inappropriately cross-reference when writing posts and within forum discussion on the site?

I used TIES as a specific subject word when I was researching TIES in the early days - which caused me to join this site - and a usable word-specific search option, and it would still be useful today.

Also, it would help for precis for one's profile write-up, for example. It would help people like me be more concise!

Thank you

Best wishes,

Jayne

gentlejohn
Oct 07, 2023 6:52 pm

There are both ostomate nurses and surgeons on this website. I would expect that they will be reluctant to disclose their professions.

Jayne
Dec 20, 2023 6:32 pm
Reply to gentlejohn

Indeed

Some replies may have come as an opening to other topics I figured!

Waves

Jayne

Staying Hydrated with an Ostomy with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
Play