Pancaking

Replies
Views
Smart4812

Any tips on pancaking ? I’m a little over 2 weeks post surgery .. 

thanks 

Beachboy

Hello,

Gonna take a while for your body to recover and digestive system to finish adaping to a stoma.  Usually 1 to 2 months.  

You can try lubricating deodorizer.  Hollister and other medical manufacturing companies sell it.  Call them and ask for free sample.  Kinda works at first.  Gotta rinse out bag and reapply often.

Some ostemates use a small amount of baby oil added to the bag.  Work the oil around inside the bag.

Start a food diary.  Eat something.  See what happens, record results.  Everyone is a little different.  

Keep a little air in the bag.  If you have a 2 piece system, open up bag top seal, gently pull bag plastic apart to draw air inside, reseal.  Gives more room for output.

Pancaking happens.  I just live with it.  When I get alot, I squeeze and manipulate  the output down toward bag bottom.  If bag is really coated with sticky output, I snap on a new bag.  I use Hollister 2 piece system with a moldable barrier ring. 

Be careful.  Do not lift anything heavy for several months.  Ostomies can develope a peristomal hernia very easy.  I have one.  Looks like a bump under or next to your stoma.  Can get bigger over time.  When you cough or sneeze, try to firmly hold a pillow against your stomach.  There are ostomy support belts available.  Nu-Hope corporation makes nice comfortable ones and offer a variety of styles, sizes, and widths.  Your medical supplier can get them for you.  It hasn't been proven a belt prevents hernia, but it's worth a try.  I wear a Nu-Hope belt nearly everyday.  Holds in my hernia nicely.  Also have another belt from them with a prolapse strap used to flatten my stoma.  Hides my ostomy well with a button down shirt.  Wore it yesterday to a funeral.

Take care

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,611 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

warrior

Excellent advice . agreed...did they also tell you to stay hydrated ?that's one thing a lot of people neglect is drinking their fluids.

Since you are relatively new to the ostomy world, I would definitely look into it if I were you.

And of course, keep asking questions.

w30bob

I just want you colostomates to know..........pancakes USED TO BE my favorite breakfast food.  Then I found this website and can now never look at pancakes the same.  Thanks for that.  Makes me want to pour maple syrup over all your heads.   Just F&*king with ya!

;O)

Beachboy
Reply to w30bob

You can still enjoy pancakes.  Just get the ones with chocolate chips... yummy

Stories of Living Life to the Fullest from Ostomy Advocates I Hollister
Beachboy

Smart,

What type ostomy do you have?  Ileo, colostomy?  

I thought my colostomy was going to be temporary.  Didn't happen.  

warrior
Reply to w30bob

Yo!!! Bob,  you can still eat pancakes... just wear a blindfold and a clothespin for the nose😋

w30bob
Reply to Beachboy

They're ALL temporary.......because we all are!

;O)

warrior
Reply to Beachboy

Nice visual !!  stoma fart downloading in three ,two ,one-

Beachboy

Yes..... everything in life is temporary.  Someday our sun will run out of fuel, expand, shrink, then disintegrate in a flashy Super Nova.  Just not next week.

kittybou
Reply to w30bob

Waffles?

Beachboy
Reply to kittybou

Actually I "waffle" when figuring out which syrup to pour on my pancakes.

kittybou
Reply to Beachboy

😹

Smart4812
Reply to warrior

I actually have a water app, and have been averaging approximately 70oz daily , so I’ve got that covered 🙏thank you 

w30bob
Reply to kittybou

YES!  Unless someone on here starts describing their output as 'waffling'.  

;O)

kittybou
Reply to w30bob

😸😹 that remark had me spewing coffee. Rofl. Thank you!!!

Smart4812
Reply to Beachboy

Colostomy, I am also going thru cancer Acute Myelois Leukemia since 12/22 , this is temporary I developed diverticulitis and it perforated my colon, lucky I didn’t die… still need a bone marrow transplant 😵‍💫🥴 lots of bumps in the road for me 

Smart4812
Reply to Beachboy

Colostomy, I am also going thru cancer Acute Myelois Leukemia since 12/22 , this is temporary I developed diverticulitis and it perforated my colon, lucky I didn’t die… still need a bone marrow transplant 😵‍💫🥴 lots of bumps in the road for me 

warrior
Reply to Smart4812

yes lots of bumps... potholes..detours indeed..

all manageable with help and patience and guidence.

you live in God's country up there. He has His eyes on you. 

You got this.

Beachboy
Reply to w30bob

You sure?  Cuz IHOP has those chocolate chip babies... chips melt right on yer tongue.  Yummy... seconds please

Beachboy
Reply to w30bob

My bag was flatulating 

Penguins7

My advise on pancaking is to use baby oil in pouch for lubricant and make sure you have a bit of air in the pouch.  Walmart sells a scented baby oil that helps with odor as well. Drinking plenty of water as it makes output less pasty.  Good luck.