Details/Outcomes of Stoma Hernia Repair Surgery? Thank You!

Replies
Views
debydu211
Mar 15, 2024 12:02 pm

Is there anybody that can give me details/outcomes/results of stoma hernia repair surgery?

Thank you so very much!

Debbie

Riva
Mar 15, 2024 12:37 pm

UOAA just had a webinar the other night on that very subject. I'm sure you can access it. Good luck.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,841 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Hisbiscus
Mar 15, 2024 1:06 pm

I had parastomal hernia repair with mesh. Good outcome but stoma went flat. Using a convex bag. It doesn't happen to everyone I understand. Other than that it came out good.

warrior
Mar 15, 2024 1:48 pm

Rumor has it that once you do get a hernia repaired, it fails and will need more surgery afterwards.

And if it does not fail, there are lifting restrictions.

I am reluctant to consider having mine done.

For me? No thanks. Pass.

Riva
Mar 15, 2024 1:59 pm
Reply to warrior

I'm with you!

Staying Hydrated with an Ostomy with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
debydu211
Mar 15, 2024 2:33 pm
Reply to Riva

Hi there!

Just saw your post. I see you live in FL.
Where? I lived there 33 years. Five years ago, I moved back to WI to be closer to my mom.
Sadly, she passed last year.
My daughter and grandsons are still in FL. So,

I visit quite often. I plan on going down there next month for close to a month.
Can't wait! I miss my FL family and friends.
Would like to get to know you better and would like hearing your story. I'm a 47-year “veteran” with an ileostomy due to ulcerative colitis. Take care~Debbie~

warrior
Mar 15, 2024 2:41 pm
Reply to Riva

@ Riva... cool beans. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

And even if partially broke? Still don't fix it. You go looking for trouble, it finds you. Well, maybe not YOU, but trouble finds ME. ☺️

Hisbiscus
Mar 15, 2024 3:31 pm
Reply to warrior

Oh boy, now you've got me thinking... I hope mine does not fail in the future.

warrior
Mar 15, 2024 8:30 pm
Reply to Hisbiscus

Sorry to alarm you, kiddo.

There are a number of reversals going on. I saw early posts about J-pouch and some other Koch pouch?

The thing is, if you are immune compromised, it's just a bad idea. Everyone in that situation agrees. Some have had a pouch, like Iggie. He was having issues all the time.

Had it removed and loves his life now.

The decision has to involve your current health and what it will be in the future.

No magic eight ball. Shit happens.

I had no option myself. The large colon was way too diseased to keep. Had it removed. Perm ileo.

Hate it. But just like my hearing loss, you make adjustments and carry on.

Beachboy
Mar 15, 2024 9:06 pm

Exactly my thinking... fix the hernia... stoma goes flat. Causes even more damn problems. Then later, a bonus: it's baaaacccck.... Mr. Hernia returns.

I've said before, and I say it again: Gotta be tough... tough to be an ostomate.

Ok... where'd I set my beer????

Hisbiscus
Mar 15, 2024 10:12 pm
Reply to warrior

Well, I guess it's too late as I already have the mesh. Doc said no way to remove it; I'd probably die. I had asked him what if I ever had to have it removed. It was a big open surgery fixing two parastomal hernias and an umbilical all at once. It was to the point I had an obstruction from the hernias and the only solution was repair. Constant blockages as well. He says if he had to remove it, he would have to have every doctor above him and outside doctors in the room, and my whole abdomen would fall out forward. I was in a study at the hospital. I guess it is what it is. It's there, and I would just have to deal with any complications as they arise, if any. So therefore, I guess thinking of all this has eased my anxiety about it.

Anyhow, I had to have my whole colon removed just as you did but with the Barbie butt as well.

Very interesting to learn about the J-pouches and Koch. Never knew that.

warrior
Mar 16, 2024 1:17 am

@Hibiscus... we are in the same boat. I waited 6 years after my colon was removed in hopes to reconnect, but upon research, I really did not like the result of that. So developing CD in the stump was a mixed blessing. Even after 6 years of waiting, I never thought a ken butt was on the horizon.

I learned early to wear a belt 24/7. Keep it tight to prevent leaks and add some support with another wrap on top of it. No issues to date.

No pain, and over those 6 years, I moved out of 2 homes.

U-Haul and me, alone. I hope I stay unhurt by this logic.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it... (yet?) 😔

debydu211
Mar 16, 2024 2:23 am
Reply to Hisbiscus

Thank you! That is encouraging! What was your recovery time?

Hisbiscus
Mar 16, 2024 2:31 am
Reply to warrior

Yes, if it's not broken, why fix it? Just be careful with that lifting. I did the same thing you are doing with the belt and the wrap on top prior to the hernia surgery. I had some new hope belt. I actually told them to remove the rectum. I had so much pain in that damn thing.

Hisbiscus
Mar 16, 2024 2:36 am
Reply to debydu211

The recovery actually went smoothly. I worked a job where I could sit a lot, so I went back in 3 or 4 weeks. The doctor wanted me out for 8 weeks but agreed since I was able to take it easy.

AlexT
Mar 16, 2024 4:48 pm
Reply to warrior

I'm waiting as long as possible to get mine repaired because of the high percentage of recurring issues.

warrior
Mar 16, 2024 4:57 pm
Reply to AlexT

But Alex... you have no pain or issues right now, correct?

AlexT
Mar 16, 2024 7:33 pm
Reply to warrior

Nope, none. Just a lopsided stomach. Personally, and I'm sure I'll hear about this, I think people that get them repaired and have no future issues probably don't have a super active lifestyle like we do with our jobs and doing physical things for hobbies. 🤷‍♂️ My biggest fear is getting my stoma F'ed up and then having issues with leaks because it's flush or not sticking out like it does now.

warrior
Mar 16, 2024 9:03 pm
Reply to AlexT

Right on, bro.

My sentiments exactly.

Still very active with work... and I agree most getting theirs repaired have to consider kicking back, retire, change their working status. No thanks. I'm on the move...

Beachboy
Mar 17, 2024 12:37 am

AlexT, warrior... I'm there with you. Love to get it fixed... but could end up with worse trouble, and have the "son of a biscuit eater" come back.

debydu211
Mar 17, 2024 2:48 am
Reply to Hisbiscus

Thank you!

Hisbiscus
Mar 17, 2024 6:34 am
Reply to warrior

I was cleaning offices and carrying big garbage bags out to the dumpster for 4 months. Vacuuming, mopping, etc. Nothing happened, but I knew I was playing with fire had I continued. Not the reason I quit, but good thing I did. I agree with you both, you and Alex. If you're not having obstruction or unmanageable leaks due to the hernia, then leave it be.

In fact, my first consult was a no, we are not fixing it for aesthetic reasons. Only if obstruction. I was told it was watch and wait. A year later, the obstruction happened, and my colorectal surgeon walked up to the general surgeon's office with me to tell him it has to be fixed now.

Hisbiscus
Mar 17, 2024 6:37 am
Reply to debydu211

You're welcome

Virgo68
Mar 28, 2024 1:18 pm

I'm not on this site very often, so I'm late in responding. All of the replies are very helpful for me. I have a huge hernia and went through a terrible recovery from just the first surgery. My doctor recommended I wait a year before thinking about reversal or hernia repair. Yes, my hernia is very noticeable no matter what I wear to hide it. It's been almost two years and I don't even mind the stoma so much as I mind the hernia. After reading about reversals and hernia repairs on this site, I've decided not to do anything unless absolutely necessary. I feel good and that's all that matters right now. Yes, having the colostomy isn't fun, but going through all that again and still having problems is not what I want. Unfortunately, you already had it done and I honestly hope all is well for you.

bag-changer
Apr 08, 2024 7:42 am
Reply to Virgo68

I'm in the same boat. Just over a year since the colostomy operation and, as far as the bag goes, very few problems other than a restricted diet.

When I was measured for the belt I was told I could have three per year (on prescription - God bless the NHS!), so I thought "OK, three this year, three next year, etc." I wear it most of the time, except when resting when it goes reasonably flat. I'm in no pain, but the hospital is now pestering me to have a hernia "mesh" operation, which I understand is done under local anaesthetic injected into the spine, the thought of which terrifies me. The last year has not been a lot of fun and I really don't fancy undergoing any more "torture".

Can they insist that this be done? Is it compulsory? They're making it sound as if I have no choice.

Do I?

AlexT
Apr 08, 2024 6:13 pm
Reply to bag-changer

So I just had an appointment with my oncologist for a cancer check-up. I mentioned my hernia. She said if it doesn't bother you, they really don't recommend having it fixed because they normally don't last (the repair) and can lead to stoma issues and getting another hernia. 🤷‍♂️

bag-changer
Apr 09, 2024 8:19 am
Reply to AlexT

Thank you so much for this. I'll just let sleeping dogs lie! :)

AlexT
Apr 10, 2024 1:58 am
Reply to bag-changer

By the way, I'd love to get mine fixed, but my stoma works really well for me that I don't want to create new issues that I currently do not have to deal with. I'm sure someday in the future I'll get it fixed, but for now, I'm good with being lopsided.

debydu211
Apr 10, 2024 6:37 am

How long have you had your ostomy?

AlexT
Apr 10, 2024 3:46 pm
Reply to debydu211

Me? Since March of 2021. If not me, March of 2021. 😁