Protein Chips: A Game-Changer for Ostomates?

Replies
Views
infinitycastle52777

I recently discovered Quest protein chips. My ostomy nurse said I needed to get more protein in my diet and had recommended whey protein powder, which I use, but it gets boring after a while. I haven't been able to have chips since my ostomy (ileostomy) but I crave them all the time for a salty snack. Recently I found out there is such a thing as protein chips, and I was reluctant at first to try them because they are "chips" but I decided to go ahead and buy some. They have that first initial crunch to them but lo and behold they then kind of melt down. So no sharp pieces get swallowed, and everything gets chewed enough. I am thrilled to find that there is such a thing in the world. Who knows, maybe it's a chip for ostomates?? (They are also low carb!)

Has anyone else tried them?

Lee

BaoBoo

The easy way to gaining weight is the wheat protein which gave me 10 kg back in one month.

But I hate to gain weight because it will be a risk for others. The scare in the middle of belly looks like another mountain there.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,502 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Hisbiscus

I do eat chips with my ileostomy, and if I don't let the pieces melt down enough, I will see some of those pieces in my bag. Lol! I use the chips for thickening and for the salt I might need.

Axl

I eat potato chips regularly, no problems.

IGGIE

I also eat chips and have never had a problem. If you chew them well, they just melt and break down. Smith's Crisps are the best.

Getting Support in the Ostomy Community with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
infinitycastle52777
Reply to Hisbiscus

My ostomy nurse said that Cheetos puffs will slow down output. I tried that once but it did not slow down Marvin (my stoma) at all! The only thing besides Imodium that I have found to slow down output is pumpkin. I have to remember to chew everything so well or it comes out in my bag looking like it went in. So my ostomy nurse told me not to eat chips, but I like chips! She also told me to add more protein into my diet so when I found the Quest Protein chips I decided to try them. They do melt down and I have as of yet to find pieces come out in my bag.

Lee

infinitycastle52777
Reply to IGGIE

Maybe I just don't chew enough or something.

Lee

IGGIE
Reply to infinitycastle52777

With a storm, you had better learn to chew a lot, I mean A LOT.