Living with Double Bags: Colostomy and Urostomy Experiences

Replies
Views
Lemonade486
Apr 08, 2024 7:36 am

Does anyone have double bags, like colostomy and urostomy? I currently have a colostomy and a Foley catheter. My choices are a suprapubic catheter, urostomy, or do nothing and wear a brief every day. Can anyone share any insight on how all that works together? Thanks

Ravna666
Apr 14, 2024 1:09 pm

Hi Lemonade486

I have both an ileostomy and urostomy for some time now. Foley's, suprapubic catheters, and urostomies all have their pros and cons.

Foley's and SP catheters are easier to manage but come with a larger bag and a high risk of UTIs.

A urostomy is major surgery, with all that entails. The risk of UTIs is less, the bags are a lot smaller, but changing them can be tricky because urostomies are a lot like ileostomies, where urine has a mind of its own and goes whenever it feels like it :) But once you get a routine and know when you're likely to pee less, changing them isn't a problem.

Hope that helps :)

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,841 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.