Ideas on jeans

Replies
Views
gpeterson2

I have an ileostomy and wondering if anybody would have ideas on jeans.  I wear lees 32-32 but there tight around the bag.  The jeans are fine on the legs and waist. 
thanks!

kittybou

Some stores carry elastic around the waist pants for men, know anyone who would custom make you a few pairs?

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,646 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Mysterious Mose

I've ditched my jeans in favor of high-waisted elastic pants. 32 Degrees makes some that fit pretty except they are a tad short for my 34" inseam. That problem is quickly becoming moot as shorts season is here in Colorado. Most my long pants get relegated to the cedar chest this time of year. :-)

Daniel

warrior

I am trying to visualize " tight around the bag"...how your jeans or belt possibly is right up against the bag. 

First, how are u wearing your bag? Vertical or horizontal? 

Sounds like vertical.  Pls confirm and the appliance? 1 piece or two?

Thanks.

AlexT

Duluth Trading Post flex pants/jeans. I wear them every day for work, they stretch just enough. 

Words of Encouragement from Ostomy Advocates I Hollister
jansarirn

I find the length of the rise to be the most important part of the fit now that I have an ileostomy.  This may be seen more in women’s jeans.  High rise works much better than low or mid rise.  So it may be need to try a different cut of the same brand, e.g. Levis 505 vs 511.  

nick19

Hi,

Look up stoma dome, I use my stoma dome to protect against any tight elastic or belt and it has given me the freedom to wear tight jeans, compression shorts, etc. I use it to play football (soccer) as well and I feel safe and secure and not worry about tight clothing or elastic going over my ileostomy.

Hope this helps, I love the options it has given me for clothing.

Doe1mama
Reply to nick19

Thanks for this suggestion nick19. Because of where his ileostomy is we've had issues with waistbands being too tight. But if we go larger at the waist, the legs look like clown pants. I'm looking into the dome today.

Berkeley Grad

Have you thought about consulting a local tailor or seamstress? They may be able to incorporate an elastic extender (an inch may do it) into your waist band that can be concealed by a belt.  I am a committed jean wearer and also have found that a larger waist band is not necessarily the solution.  

olderone

I understand this problem, I have not been successful with finding jeans but wear cargo pants mostly, especially at work.  I have found that at Amazon the "Match Men's Wild Cargo Pants" are higher waisted and fit well for us with the bag issue.  They run a bit long so you can have them hemmed for a good fit.  Last, I agree with Mysterious Mose, shorts weather is pretty much here in Colorado.  Good luck and I hope you find something that works for you.

Ravna666

Hi gpeterson2, 

I use the 10” long drainable pouches, with my ileostomy, and I just roll them up from the bottom and tuck it under the elastic of my underwear…and I can then wear skinny jeans.

Mysterious Mose
Reply to Ravna666

I tried to visualize what that looks like. Then I realized that women's underwear and pants tend to have  higher waistlines than men's. The problem most of us males face is that our pants and underwear, for the most part, have the waist either cross right over the stomach or slightly below. This cuts off the flow when you wear a belt or wear pants that fit your hips. I am not saying it is easier for women, just a bit different due to the hips difference.

Or maybe I visualized incorrectly? :-)

Daniel

LetsGoGolfing

Look into Public Rec pants and jeans.   A bit pricy but they look like Levis but wear like sweatpants.   

joyceysmith1961

My friend cut out a small piece of the waist band and replaced it with elastic, it works. I do not have to buy new pants or jeans.