Unexpected Side Effect: Black Cherries Turned My Stool Black!

Replies
Views
Caz67

I thought I would treat myself last week to some black cherries. One, because they are in season, and two, our supermarket has them on a ridiculous offer of 59p for a punnet. Well, greedy guts here didn't stop for a breath of air after eating the first one. Boy oh boy, did I know about it a few hours later. Only later, I forgot that I had eaten them. So when I started to pass large pieces of black stool, I thought my insides were rotten and I was bleeding to death. With fingers at the ready to call 999, I got a quick reminder of what I had eaten that day. Yep, those beautiful black cherries were the culprit lol. Don't think somehow it will put me off eating them lol XX

HenryM

Join the crowd, kid.  Black cherries hold their color all the way through... 

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,468 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

ron in mich

Hi Caz, that's like when I eat beets or corn, I know a few hours later what I've eaten and with the beets it's kinda scary.

TerryLT

Can I just ask, what the heck is a punnet??

Caz67

Plastic carton lol XX

Living with Your Ostomy | Hollister
Caz67

What is beets? Have you tried sweet corn yet?

TerryLT

Ahh, got it!   I read your comment about beets?   Maybe you say beetroot?   Don't know what else you would call them!   Sometimes I think we need a Brit/North American dictionary!   LOL!

Casper9

Be careful if you try sweet corn. I have an ileostomy and they definitely do not like each other.

Caz67

Ah, right! Yes, we say beetroot, lol. I was thinking it was some kind of foreplay before you eat, lol. XX

Past Member

Ya crack me up, Caz! As we say down here "you can't beat an egg but you can't beat a root!"

"Two countries separated by a common language," I reckon. What on earth do they call a punnet of strawberries?!

But I too get the cherry effect, same goes for a nice glass of red!

Caz67

Glad to make you laugh. Yes, it's funny if anyone comes to the UK and spends time in London. It's all hustle and bustle. Then you come to Yorkshire, we have our own language. LOL. xx

TerryLT

Sadly, no foreplay involved!  I guess we are pretty boring here in Canada.  Our plastic containers of berries are usually just referred to as packages or even containers, except sometimes when they are referred to by volume or weight, i.e., a pint, a pound, etc.

Homie With A Stomie NS

Same happened to me when I drank a cherry slushy. Scared the out of me lol....

Homie With A Stomie NS
Reply to Caz67

Tried corn on the cob for the 1st time since operation March/22 with yesterday's dinner....it was amazing smothered in butter, salted, oh yum in my tum.....held my breath then waited a few painless hours later there it was, out safe and sound....chewed it to death but boy it was worth it....next time a whole ear instead of half....

Happy Monday

Tracy

Homie With A Stomie NS
Reply to Caz67

Beets, they are a veg blood red as well as its juices....can eat raw or cooked

ron in mich
Reply to Homie With A Stomie NS

I like them pickled.