Advice on bladder diversion surgery: Seeking experiences and tips

Replies
Views
shellyuk
Hi everyone,
I've just joined and found the site on Google. Hoping I'm putting this in the right place.
I've just come back from seeing the surgeon about having a bladder diversion done, where the bag will be attached to the outside. I'm just hoping to chat with any others who have experience of this.
The surgeon did explain a lot of what was involved, but it's never as good or clear as chatting to people who have had the same thing done. How it affects their life, etc. Is it easy (ish) to live with?
Any advice will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks everyone in advance.
XXX
Past Member

Welcome along, Shelly! Oh, you'll find wonderful support here from everyone. I'm not in the same situation as you, but I've got a colostomy. Just keep checking in to see what's new and have a look at some of the previous forum topics on urostomies. You'll find lots of info there. Good luck with your operation, and we'll all keep our fingers crossed for you here. Take care, Colm.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,468 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

iMacG5
You can type in "urostomy" in the Search box at the top of the page or use the "Quick search" right below that box by clicking on the word.  Good luck.  You're in the right place.  Mike
shellyuk

Thank you very much to you both for replying, I'll have a look in the search box. Just been reading the printout that the hospital gave me yesterday.
Sounds a bit scary!..lol
X

girlygirl

Hi there! Yes, it's an awful op and you don't think in a million years you'll feel well again, but in time you will and you'll be glad you had it done. My problem is eating, I get such a lot of trapped wind which I never thought would happen with a urostomy. Good luck, you'll be fine. x

How to Manage Emotions with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
michaelab
Hi Shelly,
I had my 'diversion' about one year ago and am coming along pretty well. My biggest issue is finding the right clothes to hide the pouch. I usually just buy larger shirts/sweaters than I need and then have them tailored so they don't look too bad. I also find that I get tired more than before. Not sleepy tired. Just need to lay down and take a break. Good luck to you.
gracie in texas
If you haven't had your operation yet, you want to voice your concerns to your doctor and make certain that you get the best surgeon available for this operation. My doctor left me with a small hernia and a small fistula to deal with. Voice your concerns about having the stoma in the correct position so that appliances will fit smoothly and you can easily see it when making changes. Mine sits directly under my large right breast and it can be difficult to see without a bra on. :-! If you have not met yet with an ostomy nurse, please try and get to see one BEFORE your operation. It is best to learn about appliances and their installation and removals while you are strong and not under the influence of anesthesia and operation shock.

I have had my urostomy for two years now and am doing really well. I have learned a lot from posts on this site and am truly grateful for the knowledge gained. I wish you great success on your operation and you must know that after you get used to the new 'you', you can resume your life pretty much as your usual healthy self. I am back to traveling and playing golf and having a truly great time. You will, too.
shellyuk

Wow, that was a nice surprise seeing all the replies. Thanks so much. It's what I really need to hear how others have got on with it.
I did ring the hospital today and asked if there was anyone I could talk to about it. They said about ten days before my op, I'll get an appointment to talk to a stoma nurse and to someone who's had the op done.
The reason for me having the op is incontinence, zero bladder capacity, and obviously have to wear the massive pads 24/7. So, I think life would be better with the bag than the pads. Do others agree?
Thanks so much for helping.
I do appreciate it.
x

Ocker
Hi Shelly,
Good luck with your op. I had my urostomy in September 2010 and lost a few more organs than a female would, but still end up the same way. It takes a while to get over it but will come good. I did find that I get a lot of UTIs which are, for the most part, controlled with antibiotics. I had a large hernia develop after about 3 months but got that fixed via surgery - not a major op.
The majority of people recommend cranberry juice to control infections and odor; not sure if it works but can't do any harm. I use a Hollister 2-piece appliance, changing the bag daily and the wafer every 3-4 days. My wife made a small pouch that slides over my belt and helps support the bag - you will work something out.
The main thing I have found out is that there are a lot of people a hell of a lot worse off than us urostomates, so I'm just happy to be here!
shellyuk

Hi ocker
Thanks so much for replying, I'm so pleased all's going well for you, and know exactly what you mean about being thankful for being here. I'm the same as my problems with the bladder is due to stage 3 cervical cancer, but clear 7 years this year. But every day I feel lucky.
x