Anyone using Omeprazole (Prilosec)) or other proton pump inhibitors to slow motility?

Replies
Views
w30bob

Hi Gang,

Just want to see if anyone else uses or is experimenting with taking a proton pump inhibitor to slow their motility?  I was turned on to this trick a while back by someone on here, but couldn't implement it until now due to the data I was tracking on my weight stability.  I'm on day 4 of taking a 20mg tab of Omeprazole in the morning and the results have been impressive.  I've stopped taking my normal motility meds, Loperamide and Diphen-Atropine, and find a single Omeprazole tab once a day works much better.  Of course this is all preliminary, but would like to hear from anyone who's gone down this path, whether the experience was good or bad.  

thanks,

bob

Bryce

Bob - you may want to Google the following: Omeprazole vs Pantoprazole. Was put on the latter (Rx Only) when Ranitidine (Rx Zantac) was taken off the market 3 years ago. I have had good results with Pantoprazole with no side effects such as a B12 deficiency / headaches that Omeprazole can cause. Best

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,488 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

w30bob
Reply to Bryce

Thanks Bryce!  I'll check that out as soon as I finish experimenting with the Omeprazole!!

regards,

bob

aTraveler

Pantoprazole (protonix) works for me. Omeprazole was not as effective for me. I take a 40mg tablet of pantoprazole everyday. In any case it seems you are on the right track.😊

Past Member

I haven’t heard of it being used to slow motility.. can’t wait to hear more about your experiment…

Getting Support in the Ostomy Community with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
w30bob
Reply to Anonymous

Hi WI,

Yeah, it's interesting.  Someone on here (sorry, but I forgot who) mentioned it when we were PM'ing about short gut stuff some time ago.  So I tried it off the cuff back then and noticed it did reduce my number of bag emptyings.  I talked to my small bowel transplant doc about it and she mentioned that all alpha blockers seem to have the effect of reducing motility........and they were pretty much harmless in terms of long term side effects.....but they didn't know why (as usual).  So I had it on my radar to investigate further, and the time has come.  Today was my fourth day taking one 20mg tab in the morning, about 15 mins before I eat breakfast.........and so far I'm seeing a pretty drastic reduction in the number of times I need to empty my bag.  My output is thicker too, obviously, and I've competely stopped taking my normal motility meds.  Then again it could also be Crapster's Rice Krispy Treats, which I've been binge making every night for the past week.  No, just kidding.........it's not those.  But they do taste good. 

So I plan to stick with the Omeprazole for a bit and then check out other's recommendations.  I did a little digging and there have been a few investigations into whether Omeprazole affects motility........and the answer was no, but it did improve gastric myoelectrical activity, which I haven't fully digested yet.  Stay tuned....more to come.

;O)

Jayne

Hi Bob

I use Omeprazole prn when I have an acid imbalance - BUT I ONLY TAKE IT UPON RETIRING TO SLEEP - ie when going down in the prone position when I have an out of balance acidic reaction - Usually I am fortuneate to be able to manage my diet fairly OK ..... this may change in the event I become 'short-gutted' following my next surgical intovention in the event I have bowel pucture or fistular development owing to adhesions which are becoming more extensive as number of surgies progess ;-(.

Clearly, Bob, you must self manage quite carefully .... and the very fact you were able to be weaned off deepline feeding - says a lot for your own stregth of purpose and application I guess .... We are best ablwe to help ourselves ..... by being 'favoured, as one who is prepared' ie pertinent knowledge and a continual self assessment is probably the most useful aspect for those of us who are capable of applying emotional intellih=gence along with practical mind over matter ..... because we are our best when able to apply good self management!

[Occassionally we [meaning I in this instance] can be our own worst enemy .... but hell, sometimes, we just have to say WTF - and let ourselves have a certain amount of freedom - albeit that this can be shortlived!

I 'enjoy' reading your informative posts Bob - you ahve a good sharing attitude - Thank you for being an acive Mmember of Site.

I too will be interested to learn of the outcome of your experimentation as regards the ihibitor mechanism of this drug / other drugs.

Postive best wishes for helpul advancement and self management outcome

Best regards

Jayne

Jayne
Reply to Bryce

Bryce,

Do I take it you have used Omeprazole/Pantoprazole long term?

BW

regards

Jayne

Hisbiscus

I take 20 MG a day but not for the output. Personally I have not noticed a difference but I do notice my zyrtec allergy pill will slow it down. Proton pump inhibitors can put people in general at more risk of getting Cdiff. I've always been worried about that. 

w30bob
Reply to Jayne

Hi J,

I hope you don't get short-gutted anytime soon........it's not fun, and I wouldn't wish it on anyone.  Well..........maybe one or two pop into my mind....but I digress.  My weaning off TPN was as much the efforts of a really good home infusion team and their dietician as mine.  I was lucky enough to work with a team that focuses on getting patients off TPN rather than maximizing profits.  They really were amazing.  I also have a friend who needed a liver transplant, and almost died waiting for it.........so I had no plans of watching my liver degrade from the long term use of TPN and go down the same road he did.  Let's just say I was VERY motivated to get off TPN as soon as practical.  It's a shame everyone needing it doesn't work with a home infusion company like the one I used.....or even know they exist.    

We're always our own worst enemy........it's human nature.  I just got done reading the most up-to-date info on long term side effects of proton pump inhibitors and it's not as good news as I was led to believe.  So the proton pump inhibitor thing may be short lived. But I will give it a good go so I know if it works or not to modify my motility.  If I can figure out why it does that there may be other safer things that could be used for the same task.  Time will tell.  I've attached a link to the info on side effects if anyone is interested.  It doesn't appear to be turning into a hyperlink, so you may need to cut and paste into your browser to view.  Hopefully it will change when I submit this reply.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC10248387/#:~:text=The%20long%2Dterm%20use%20of%20PPIs%20is%20associated%20with%20some,(hepatocellular%20carcinoma)%2C%20fractures%2C

;O)

w30bob

Update time.  So does Omeprazole slow motility?  Well, in my case it's a definite YES!  I took it for 7 days at 20mg/day, first thing in the morning about 15 minutes before I ate breakfast.  And for the first time since becoming an ostomate some 9 years ago............I've actually experienced 'pancaking'!  Very interesting sensation.  So for me........the number of times I need to empty my bag has dropped significantly........and my output has changed from liquid to moist oatmeal!  Sorry all you oatmeal lovers.......I couldn't think of a better analogy.  So for me........it works!  Of course your mileage may vary, and probably will.......or it might not do anything for ya!  

BUT........and there's always a 'BUT'.........it actually works too good!  I say that for a couple of reasons.  First, on my old motility meds (which didn't work real well) I could plan for times of the day when I knew my bowels were empty....meaning I'd have no output.......and do things without any worry of needing to empty my bag.  Now for me having empty bowels means I'm burning energy and not replacing it, so I'm losing weight.  But when I had to be somewhere where emptying might be a challenge, or I would be in a situation where I didn't want to have to empty a couple times in an hour or two (like on a date), I came to like the fact that I controlled the timing.  With Omeprazole all bets were off, and although I certainly had far fewer emptyings........I was no longer in control of when or how much.  Second, I'm used to eating until 1:00am or so, then hydrating around 2:30am and hitting the sack around 4:00am, knowing my bowels were empty.  This wasn't so much a 'don't want a blowout while I'm sleeping" thing, but fit my morning schedule when I got up.  Normally the first thing I do in the morning is weigh myself.  And I do that knowing my bowels are empty.  But with Omeprazole I found my bowels weren't empty, and I really wanted an accurate weight before I started eating breakfast.  So I stopped eating earlier figuring that would solve it, but it didn't.  I still wasn't completely empty when I woke up.  And lastly, I wasn't a happy camper when I read about the long term side effects of being on Omeprazole for more than 14 days.  

So what I'm doing now is cutting my daily doseage in half, hoping that's a happy medium.  Less output, but a bit more control.  We'll see how that goes.  But that's where I am right now.  I'll report back after a week of being on only 10mg of Omeprazole, and maybe that will be the happy medium..........and reduce the chance of those ugly side effects.  Or maybe not.  Stay tuned, tomorrow is Day 3.  

;O)

Jayne
Reply to w30bob

Bob,

Re: Motility using Omneprazole

Thanks for the detailed feedback of 2 x 20mg omneprazole at the begining of the day over 7 Days.

Will be interesting to compare 1x20mg at the beginning of the day.

Noted the inability to totally empty / predict clear system that you were formerly able to achieve - THAT must have been useful!

regards

Jayne

Bryce
Reply to Jayne

Hello Jayne,

I was on Ranitidine (Rx form of Zantac) for many years to counteract the effects of the Prednisone that was used to treat Crohn 's. I liked the Ranitidine better as it was not enteric coated and you could use it prophylactically if necessary. Pantoprazole seems to work well enough taken nightly, with no side effects and lasts 24 hrs. Still on 5MG per day of Prednisone and have been for 30 years - No Colos or Ileos here but Urostomy from Bladder Cancer for last 15 years. Trust all is well with you, enjoy your posts.

Cheers,

Bryce 

w30bob

My bad...........I forgot to mention one thing..........the other thing I sort of expected, but wasn't sure would result from taking the Omeprazole (20mg) was decreased digestion.  I mean it's  a medication designed to reduce acid in your stomach.  Less acid means food doesn't get broken down as much, which means bigger chunks of undigested food going thru my small bowel which are too big to absorb....and then end up ultimately in my bag.  And that's exactly what I got.  So taking Omeprazole is like being on a see-saw.  On one hand it slows (or modifies) motility, which is good.......but on the other it also decreases how efficient one digests.  For us short-gutters we need the best digestion we can get so what little small bowel we have can actually absorb as much nutrients as possible.  I guess there really is no free lunch!  I meant to mention this and totally forgot, but remember this morning when I emptied my bag and saw some nice big chunks!!  

;O)

dewey

40 mg a day work for my acid reflux

w30bob
Reply to Jayne

Hi J,

Slight correction..........I had completed 1 x 20mg at the beginning of the day over 7 days and am now on 1 x 10mg (half a tablet) and on Day 3.  I can just imagine what 40mg would have done!!! 

;O)

PatriciaSz

I take it, 2mg, and immodium twice a day to flow my high output ileostomy.  It works. Mine is temporary. After reading the comments about B12 etc, I might research more if it was permanent. I'll stick with status quo for now. I do take two B complex a day since things rush through my system so fast. I wait for about an hour after I take the O and I before I take my other meds/supplements.

Jayne
Reply to w30bob

I make this comment not as a short gutted person as I have a little more than  2.3 meters of small intestine left with which I work [no large intestine and no rectum]   But I do have extensive adhesions from multiple surguries.

yES, MAX ABSORPTION FROM THE REMAINING SMALL BOWEL WE HAVE IS ESSENTIAL ..... SO MUCH SO i FIND when [AND THIS IS ONLY ON A prn BASIS WHEN MY OWN ACID BALANCE IS DISTURBED FROM LACK OF DIET CHOICE OR VERY LATER TIMES OF EATING] i TAKE OMEPRAZOLE - i DO SO JUST BEFORE PRONE POSITION WHEN ABOUT TO SLEEP - THAT WAY THERE IS MAX TIME OF LESS MOVEMENT AND THUS MAX ABSORPTION WITHIN THE SMALL INTESTINE PRIOR TO EMPTYING.

bY NO WAY FOOL PROOF - BUT i FIND THAT TTAKING oMNEPRAZOLE IN THE MORNING OR DURING THE DAY DOES JUST WHAT bOB HAS UNDERLINED - IT SEEMS TO INCREASE MORE NON DIDGESTED FOOD BEING PASSED INTO THE BAG.

sORRY, JUST NOTICED THE CAPS

Now reverted to lower case - was not shouting.

Best regards

Jayne

Jayne
Reply to Bryce

Thanks Bryce for this input.

Yes I do use omneprozole prophylactically - Only just read your post Bryce - [I take no steroids and only take antiinflammatory [on a prn basis for a short length of time for joint /eye flares - Genberally I try to keep the pharma t oa minimum - not withstanding an AB is required for time to time - on these occassions, the defined course IS completed].

Generally I look into site on a periodic basis - but just lately have had a phase where I have looked-in on a more regular basis.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ waves from the Pembrokeshire coast ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

I wish you good fortune

kind regards

Jayne

Bryce
Reply to Jayne

Hi Jayne - Sorry for the tardy response. Have taken Pantoprazole 40mg daily for about 3 years now with no ill effects. The main reason for taking it is to counter act the upset stomach that can occur with Prednisone which I have been on for 35 years due to Crohn's. Ranitidine (Zantac Rx) prior but it was taken off the market for a while - one of those 1 in 46 Billion chances of the 'filler' causing cancer situations.  Best