Launching of Papua New Guinea Stoma Association: Creating Awareness & Providing Support

Replies
Views
walayapo
Hi ol Wantok,
I would like to share a recent event. I launched the Papua New Guinea Stoma Association on the 8th of June 2013. My awareness campaign was launched with its own "LOGO".

I had the privilege to have two doctors as guest speakers. One of the doctors was the pediatrician who does surgery and treats the children at the general hospital. He spoke of the difficulties faced by these children and their parents. Slide shows were used to show the real conditions of how the patients live in their communities. Almost all are children and the poor parents trying to make do with pieces of cloth to cover the stoma. One parent uses a diaper only when they can afford to buy.

All the guests there were saddened and touched. Most of them had no knowledge of what a stoma was when they first came in. Some didn't even know that I lived with a stoma. Seeing the photos of the pieces of cloth covering the stoma with uncontrollable bowel movement was so heartbreaking.
Having no access to colostomy bags which are not readily available here and the discomfort that goes with it, makes one wonder how these little children can continue to live in discomfort.
It is my intention to help these helpless children, have some comfort to live a normal life.

There were journalists at the launch who clearly didn't know what a stoma or a colostomy was. They surely did learn a lot from the launch. The TV crew did an interview with me and later aired it in their news.

The next day I was sent an email. It read, "Urgently need colostomy bags. My brother was shot and the bullet penetrated his large intestine." I answered his call and donated two boxes of my own supplies to him. The patient and the relatives were so relieved as they didn't know where or how to get colostomy bags. The hospital couldn't supply any to this patient, let alone the little children.

I feel so fortunate to have a stoma because I can relate to the sufferings these patients are going through and want to be there for them. Being in the same condition as them and yet I have the comfort of living a normal life because I use colostomy pouches and they don't. Thank you Salts Healthcare in England.

During the launch, the President of Rotary here came and donated some colostomy supplies which I later delivered to the hospital. It was so generous of them. Thank you Rotary. Your timing couldn't be more perfect. They had just received my letter to them as they were opening some colostomy supplies sent from donor agencies in Australia. My letter to them was to seek assistance for shipment of supplies from other wantok ostomates from America and England who were willing to donate to us. As of current, none of the companies I wrote to have responded.

Though PNG Stoma Association is in its infancy, we have already created awareness because it has been recognized by one patient and his family. We have a long way to go but our objective is to create awareness for those suffering silently and the unfortunate to have access to colostomy supplies in order to live a normal life.

I have had the privilege to come to MeetAnOstomate site and share my first story "Lone ostomate creates awareness in my country." There have been a lot of kind-hearted people who responded, some of them sacrificing their own pain and suffering to assist the worthy cause here. Thank you so much. Laikim yupela (love yous) with all my heart. I wish colostomy supplies were easily accessible here.

I was a lone ostomate here 3 years ago but now I am not alone and yet I am truly alone here trying to help the helpless.

Thank you MeetAnOstomate Forum. Couldn't have done it without you. I am blessed.
Wantok
CALYPSO

Admirable work, well done you!!!

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,465 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

walayapo
Thank you, Calypso.
pussycat

Oh, you dear precious lady, I read your first post and I thought it was a great project,
but to know now that it is a reality is amazing. I recently sent, via someone who was going
to Tanzania, some stoma supplies that were no longer suitable to me, but were very up
to the minute for many other users. Please post an address so we can all send surplus
products. The postage is simply a charity donation, as I am sure we all do from time to
time, please let us help !!!!

walayapo

Thank you Pussycat,
Having gone through it myself, I feel I have to help the helpless. It will only be possible with kind-hearted people like you. Several others also came forward but shipping is a problem. Our address:
Papua New Guinea Stoma Association
PO Box 475
Port Moresby
Papua New Guinea

Thank you, dear, for your generosity.
Laikim yu (love you)

Wantok

Staying Hydrated with an Ostomy with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
pussycat

Hello Wantuk,
I will post the first 10 up-to-the-minute bags to you tomorrow and I hope
others will do the same. I'm not sure what the postage is for 10, but I will post the information for the benefit of others who might wish to help too.

My best regards,

Marilyn

pussycat

Hello Wantuk,

I posted the first 10 bags yesterday and the postage from the U.K was just 4.70 and that was for Air Mail, so it is not too expensive.

My best regards,

Marilyn

walayapo

Thank you so much, Marilyn. It is so kind of you to give generously. I am so grateful. Words cannot express the feeling of appreciation when the need is beyond your reach.
May the good Lord bless you. I will confirm and let you know when I receive them.
Wantok

mara727

I still have a couple bags of stoma seals, please send me your address and I'll ship them to you.
Great work!

walayapo

Thank you Mara727
My postal address:

Janet Yaki

Papua New Guinea Stoma Association

P. O. Box 475

Port Moresby

National Capital District

Papua New Guinea

walayapo
Hi Marilyn,
This is to let you know that I received the colostomy bags you sent. Thank you so much. I will send them to a rural hospital that has three patients who are in desperate need of these bags. Much appreciated.
Wantok.
WyoJane
Dear Janet,

God bless you and the work you do. I have supplies and am in the midst of a system change due to a recent Crohn's flare-up. I am in Wyoming, USA, and I will work to get supplies to you and am working to raise awareness and start a support group here. This would be a project I know others would love to help with. Yes, with God all things are possible.

After contracting swine flu in 2009, all my old scar tissue inside from 30 years of Crohn's disease started turning into hamburger meat. I was given 2-6 months before it would take my life. No sign of cancer, but seven surgeries later I am still here, alive and kicking. All because of Jesus. Here is a video I put together recently for encouragement for others. Hope it brings you encouragement too. http://www.youtu.be/NQ2VRhVkBwY. My YouTube channel is jj4christ. I will reach out to others in the community here to see if we can put together a shipment for you. God bless.

WyoJane.