Advertisement
ConvaTec - Tips For Public Restrooms
Advertisement
ConvaTec - Me+ Join Today

Heavy Bleeding from Stoma

Welcome to MeetAnOstoMate
17,031 Members
Posted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 8:03 pm

I am reaching out on behalf of my older brother.  He was diagnosed 4 years ago with stage 4 rectal cancer.  He underwent 6 months of radiation and then had his colostomy and small lesion removed from his lung.  Next, underwent chemo for an entire year.  Had second growth removed from lung that was initially too small to remove.  Since then, all of his scans have been clean and he's doing great except for bleeding from his stoma.  This has been going on for about a year and a half.  At times, the blood has shot out like a fire hose.  He almost bled out on two occasions.  The bleeding is becoming more frequent and he is constantly having infusions. His surgeon now feels that the way to fix this is to relocate the stoma.  My brother will be turning 70 soon and is in excellent health except for all of this.  Has anyone else out there experienced anything similar?

Posted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 1:46 am

Hello Sister55.

Sorry to hear about your brother's problems which sound as if they need the sort of treatment that his surgeon is suggesting. 

I have not had this kind of issue myself so I've tried to find some past posts that might cover the subject. There are  a number of posts about bleeding stomas  in the section 'COLLECTIONS' ( on the left of your screen) under the sub-heading 'ostomy related problems'.  I could not find anything specific about having the stoma relocated but having been reading posts on this site for  a while now, I know that there are quite a few people that have had this procedure done without difficulties. There have been one or two who have reported having their stomas relocated more than once for one reason or another so I hope that some of these folks will respond to your post in the near future.

Meanwhile, I hope everything goes well for your brother and you can let us know how he gets on.

Best wishes to you both.

Bill 

* Please, do not post contact information like email, Facebook or MySpace account, or phone number. It will be removed by the Administartor.