Bright Red Spotting in Stoma: Causes and Solutions

Replies
Views
ronjeff

I have had a permanent colostomy for 3 years.........does anyone have bowel movements often during certain days?

Lately, I have bright red spotting around and in the stoma. I stop it with a cold compress and it is gone within a few minutes.

Often it comes after and not during a bowel movement....often on days of frequent movements. What causes this as I know the stoma can be irritated as solid stool passes.

Also, I have lots of small movements throughout the day, like every 3 hours.

Raydog

Hi Ronjef. I have had my ileostomy for almost 3 years now. I get blood around my stoma quite often, especially if an accident happens, and there is some wiping involved to clean up. I just take it with a grain of salt. I hope things get better for you. Have a great day.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,475 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

ronjeff

What about blood in the opening of the stoma? Mine goes away after a few minutes. Do you have this at times? I get this with heavy activity.

Xerxes

Around the stoma is pretty much normal and is due to a variety of things. However, blood in the opening of the stoma might indicate something more significant. I have never had blood emerging from my stoma during almost 40 years with an ileostomy. Perhaps you should have it checked by an MD.

X_

Past Member

I had blood come out of my stoma when I was on blood thinners, and the doctors said it was okay, not a problem.

Getting Support in the Ostomy Community with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
ronjeff

Yes, I too am on blood thinners.